Bristlenose Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry. You didn't say it was a stainless steel fork. And, other metals can and will leech contaminates into the tank. Other's reading our posts might not be aware of that. Thank you again for the info!

Jason7894561230 said:
The onl more care they need is a stable aqaurium and more frequent water changes like instead of say 20% each week do 30% each week

Cool! I'm already doing about 40% weekly.

my pleasure... I'm really only trying to help... I know my pleco knows exactly what his fork is for and is on his veg within seconds...

smart boy, my Shopvac.

Gina

Jason, it's so good to find a whole thread on such a fascinating fish. I too have 'Bristlenose' in each of my tanks, I am a big fan of these, one of which is albino and he's around 120mm (4½ inch). I have a talking catfish which is very similar but with more pronounced white spots, a stunner !
It's probably worth mentioning that ordinary plec's can get quite big, so anyone new to this hobby needs to be aware of the variety they might get.

What is the suggested tank size, for a bristlenose? I've had mine for 1.5 years and from all the research I have done, can't seem to find a straight answer. Some say 15-20 for a pair and then 3ft for a group, while other sites state, a 10gal is big enough for one. I was just wondering what you thought, since I don't think you stated it above or maybe I just missed it :s lol

The largest ones I have seen were about 5", but they do grow slowly (and I can't think of any that got that large in captivity. Worst case it does grow like a weed and you trade it in with the pet shop in the future.

Not necessarily. I have heard that idea before for other types of animals and there MAY be SOME truth to it in SOME circumstances, but is not a rule.

Fishstix said:
I've got a Pleco and I see you're feeding it a slice of cucumber in your pic. How do you manage to safely anchor the veg to keep it from floating around?

I use the lead tape you can buy from aquarists that is usually used to keep plants sunk

If you soak a cucumber in water it can soften and be less buoyant.
But I actually have a question. How much should a common about 3" pleco eat?
He often eats his algae tablet but he also eats all the food the others didn't on the floor. Is he under fed?

I was told about 1/4 of an algae tablet, along with supplementing small pieces of vegetables was sufficient for my Bristlenose Pleco, which is currently 3-4".

Back
Top Bottom