Bristlenose Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What actual species is being discussed / described? There are a few L numbered species that get called "bristlenose". The majority in the hobby are selectively bred hybrids.

I have been keeping Bristlenose Plecos for just over 3 years now and have had no trouble with them, they are an extremely hardy fish and don't need much to live, just some driftwood or bogwood for their digestive system and a small amount of food.

They are mainly nocturnal fish and usually only come out to feed at night

As for tank size, I have had 5 almost fully grown (largest is 11cm [about 4.5 inches] smallest is 8cm[about 3.2 inches]) in an 80L (20 gallon) aquarium since they were only about 2 inches without any losses or major problems. In the last month I moved the 2 largest BN Plecs into a 30L (7.5 gallon) aquarium with plenty of driftwood and they are quite happy there.

All I would recommend with keeping Bristlenose Plecos is a good filtration system and maybe an airstone.

Another interesting thing about BN Plecs is that if oxygenation is low in the aquarium, they can swim up to the surface, grab a mouthful of air and digest it, and via this method they will acquire oxygen as their intestinal system absorbs oxygen into the bloodstream.

And apparently they are easy to breed, which is what I intend to do within the next month, when I finally get my custom built 145L (38 gallon) tank.
I know 38 gallons doesn't seem like much, but all that BN Plecs require to breed is a relatively large floor area. The reason my new tank is only 38 gallons is because it is fairly shallow (15 inches)

I have a common and I've had him for 4 years he is in a 30 gallon tank, I've never seen him "eat" anything, he kinda sucks on algae pellets but won't really eat them, but next time I look at the tank the food is gone? And he hasn't starved to death, he is like 6 in long I think that he will only get a little bigger the small tank stunted his growth, but he was only like 1.5 in when I got him

My bristlenose also never 'eats' food but is constantly pooping and has grown quite a bit.

I just got around to reading the latest profiles.
Nice job!, the bnp is a wonderful

addition to most setups. One thing you could have touched on was their breeding habits since they are one of the few "easier" plecos to captive breed.
Personally I'd like to learn more of their breeding habits as I've currently got 3 of these critters, 2female and 1male.

I had a male bristle nose and after a few months his bristles literally disappeared. So I purchased a female to maybe aid the re-growth but sadly the male died within a month :(

Good profile :)
Just wanted to mention, although please correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard from a lot of people that you shouldn't catch bristlenose plecos in a net (not sure if this goes for other plecos too) as when they're stressed their little spike things (can't think of the name) come up and can get caught in the net and have to be ripped out to remove them. Apparently it can kill or seriously hard the pleco, and these are people who've experienced it too. I catch mine in a jug but was taught to catch her using my hand, one thumb and one finger either side and a pointer finger on her head. Gently obviously :)

Good profile :)
Just wanted to mention, although please correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard from a lot of people that you shouldn't catch bristlenose plecos in a net (not sure if this goes for other plecos too) as when they're stressed their little spike things (can't think of the name) come up and can get caught in the net and have to be ripped out to remove them. Apparently it can kill or seriously hard the pleco, and these are people who've experienced it too. I catch mine in a jug but was taught to catch her using my hand, one thumb and one finger either side and a pointer finger on her head. Gently obviously :)

Catching any creature in a net can be harmful, with or without spikey bits.

If it's possible to remove a fish using a jug or you know how to hold one properly then that is always going to be a better option.

Most plecostomus species are hard to catch because of there sharp fins. I have 2 large albino bushy nose plecos. When I upgraded them to a 29 gallon aquarium I simply put a bag inside of the net so there bristles would not get caught on the net. There is no specific way to catch a Plecostomus just do whatever works without hurting them.

I wanted to show my albino bristlenose plecos this is a breeding pair and I have small ones to prove it.

ForumRunner_20140112_233603.jpg

ForumRunner_20140112_233620.jpg

I'm not sure of the immediate size but they are a decent size.

Back
Top Bottom