Bristleworm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millipede

Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't sure where to post this message. I wanted to post it where people would see it because I want to get an idea soon. This pet store I am helping out only has two salt tanks right now... inside one of them is this thing that may be a bristleworm. I have yet to see it but this guy that visits us really, really wants it. It's at least six inches long and is a pale greenish and looks like a centipede. The guy also suggests it's poisonous. Not sure about that and wont know till I actually get to see it myself. At any rate, I did a lot of research and can't seem to find anyone who actually purposely sells them so I have no idea what we should ask for it. So I'm just looking for suggestions if anyone has any... Even thought bristle worms look scary most of them are not poisonous and they are good tank cleaners... unless they get too big and/or start eating things that you don't want eaten.... well... let me know if you have any suggestions... Thanks

If you look under the Photo Gallery or maybe even the ID forum you might find a post I made with photos from my 20 gal tank with clear pics of bristleworms.

No idea why this guy thinks they are poisonus. The more the better in my book.

If its a bristle worm and the guy wants it, give it too him. If theres one in the tank, chances are there are more.

I'm in the process of trying to trap the thing. This guy really wants this thing but the store owner doesn't want her tank messed up or her fish stressed out. That's why I am trying to trap it. If I catch it the owner said the guy could just take it but she really needs the money if you ask me. It's a small store in a small town and isn't getting the business it should. That's why I've been helping out there. So, I would like to ask the guy for something but haven't thought of what yet. I guess I still need to catch it first anyway...

Charging for a bristle worm is the salt water equivalent to selling ramshorn snails... I have one in my tank that is about 15" long stretched out, ya wanna send him over for it?

EDIT: Btw, they're not poisonous, however they ARE painful if you lay yer hand on one... Those bristles come off and stick in you like a billion little splinters.. They can become infected and get just nasty cuz of the conditions involved.. Handle with care, but not caution =)

bristleworm

I get the point... Like I said I am just trying to help this store out. but you are right... she didn't spend anything on that worm. I set a trap for the thing last today. just a plastic bottle with some openings baited with some krill I think. In less than a minute I caught two of her fish. Gobys I think. I still haven't seen the worm but I blocked all the light from getting in the tank so hopefully I will have some luck by morning. While looking around I noticed at least five starfish that were no bigger than a pea... Never knew there were any in there. It's amazing what you can see when you take the time. I think it is funny how many people run around like crazy because they are afraid they will miss something in life... It isn't until we stop that we can truly see.... I suppose that's enough thought for one post................

this guy keeps asking me to find this worm for him. I caught him one bristleworm abd have seen several others but he says that they were not what he was talking about. The thing he remembered seeing in the tank looks like a pale green centipede or to put it simply a hot dog with legs... Does anyone think that this it still some type of bristleworm? I've been searching for a while and have never seen it but anything could be hiding in there. The owner doesn't want anyone messing with the sand or coral because she's afraid of killing other little things like the baby brittle stars I have seen... but I don't think I'm ever going to see whatever it is if it is even in there.... oh well....

There is a Polycheate Eunicid sp. that matches your description. It has a green hue in the right light and 5 antenna. I don't know if this is your Bristle Worm but it's possible. They are definately venomous but not poisonous. If you touch it you're looking at a lot of pain but they're not dangerous unless you have an allergic reaction. Very very hot water will help the pain.

They normally build tubes out of mucus mixed with sand or shell pieces, that's a dead giveaway.

Guy

I'll try to get a picture of one of mine and post it for you.

Back
Top Bottom