Bristolnose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the males develop bristles all over there faces and the females only get them around there mouths

I was told that only males get bristles around their mouth and females don't develop any bristles at all.

Aces11 said:
I was told that only males get bristles around their mouth and females don't develop any bristles at all.

That's what I thought that's what I'm trying to figure out

males get large bristles on top, females still get smll bristles around front/ mouth kind of like a moustache lol.

While their only small with no bristles you can tell from body shape, female slightly more like "U" shape while males like "v" shape, although its hard to see the different shape unless you have a female and a male right next to each other.

Also the males get more Odontodes (the little spiky things on the Pectoral fins) than the female, also harder to see unless you have male and female together.

Can u sex my pleco

Here is a pic of my pleco can anyone tell me the sex please

Sry forgot the pics lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110827_144311.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110827_144311.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20110827_144326.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110827_144326.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20110827_144339.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110827_144339.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 73
It's male. The female barely get any bristles at all if the get any. Also the body shapes from male to female are slightly different with the males having wider heads that are more U shaped I believe.

its a male, the body also has very straight edges, i have seen fully mature females with bristles but probably not that big.

I've seen the males that have like big hog noses will that happen with all males

Back
Top Bottom