Broke Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm really upset!

I had a spare 10 gallon tank cycled and ready to add my first Betta fish tonight...but I dropped a piece of driftwood I was gonna add on the desk the tank was on. It was an accident but I cracked the side of the 10 gal...thankfully the carpet scrubber was on hand and sucked up all the water fairly easily. But man I'm so upset!

Now I have a Betta in a cup but no tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have a decent sized vase, that would suffice temporarily until you can get a new tank and cycle it. Just make sure to do small daily water changes to keep the small amount of water within decent parameters for the fish. As for a new tank, you can check places like craigslist. My local area usually has many people looking to sell their used tanks cheap. Just make sure to test any used tank outside for leaks--usually wait at least over night, preferably 24 hrs. Or you could try to replace the broken glass on your tank for relatively cheaply. Since the labor is slightly extense, I would personally suggest a new 10g tank. I repaired my used 55g myself, but only because it was so much cheaper with a bigger tank. Took me 2 days though that was mostly scraping silicone, waiting for the new silicone to dry, then 24hrs with water in it.

Thanks for the response! Sorry it's taken me a couple days to reply. I actually went and did pretty much all of these things. Temporary holding tank, and bought a used 10gal for $5.

I considered trying to fix the tank. Or at least take the glass that wasn't broken for other projects. But I decided not to.

Man, I'm so sorry you cracked your tank. It happened mysteriously to one of mine, I didn't notice, and when I was asleep it leaked a couple of gallons of water on the beautiful hardwood floor. And down the heat vent the tank was situated on top of it. I put my 2 bettas in a spare fishbowl, disused because of cruel small size, and ordered some silicone aquarium glue off Amazon.com
I repaired the tank and it worked fine (until I moved it long after the bettas unfortunate demise) for a temporary home for a small feeder type comet goldfish. It leaked again (I had the tank on a towel this time) and I moved the comet... I gave up on the tank and use it for land hermit crabs. Moral of story:
Don't move a cracked tank and set it up without perusing thouroughly for leaks!
Good luck!:)

Couldn't you just get a new tank and keep the substrate and filter from the old one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that would definitely help!

Back
Top Bottom