Broken heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobolink

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a submesible heater break and it leached a bunch of what appeared to be rust into the 20L tank when I was removing it. The filter (Aquaclear 200) removed the cloud but the solids settled onto the sand substrate. The fish in there now (1 month old Paradise fish fry and 3 3/8 inch albino bristle nose plecos) do not seem to have been affected by this. It happened about a week ago. I plan on using this tank for Pseudotropheus lanisticola (shell dwellers) when the fry are grown. Should I just stir the substrate or do I need to replace it?

Not sure what was in the heater bobo; I'm guessing it is rust thats down there although I could be wrong. Did you gravel vac the tank when it happened?

I think that as long as you gravel vac, you should remove anything that is on the bottom. You could also put in a polyfilter or carbon just to take out anything that might be in the water.

I can try to vacuum but I will also be sucking up top of sand and it may be impossible to get it all unless I replace substrate completely. I'm hoping it is inert enough to leave in the sand but if I put shellies in there and they start mucking around could it hurt their scales or skin and cause problems? What the heck, 40#'s of pool filter sand is $8, potential lost fish could be $10 to $40. Better safe than sorry. Just trying to avoid the hassle.

I can try to vacuum but I will also be sucking up top of sand and it may be impossible to get it all unless I replace substrate completely. I'm hoping it is inert enough to leave in the sand but if I put shellies in there and they start mucking around could it hurt their scales or skin and cause problems? What the heck, 40#'s of pool filter sand is $8, potential lost fish could be $10 to $40. Better safe than sorry. Just trying to avoid the hassle.

If you over the syphon just above the surface, you should get the material on the surface and leave the sane relitivly in place

Whatever it is , is about the same density as the sand. Swirling the water above the sand stirs up the sand not the contaminant. That's why I am assuming it is rust.

Back
Top Bottom