Broken lower moulding on 110g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why me?.....I just noticed that my 110g tank has a broken lower moulding. It must of happened while trying to get the tank out of my Tribeca. I didn't notice it until I started to clean the glass with a wet towel to clean off all the dust from the LFS. I can glue it back on but I'm apprehensive about the weight on that area of the tank. I'm going to contact Oceanic tomorrow to see what they say. It's about 5-6 inches. Otherwise the seam looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 94
My 75 gallon was busted too. I fixed mine with a strip of black ABS plastic that I scavenged off the shell of a donor black TV set ... I cut a strip the same width as the frame, lightly sanded the frame and the repair piece, and glued them together with black ABS cement from home depot... Mine was split straight through the entire bottom frame, even the bottom center brace was cracked, and it is holding up fine months later... It is a weld, not glued!

Yours looks a bit worse than mine was, plus yours is woodgrain and mine was black, but it may work if you can get down to the black plastic through the faux wood...

I got a reply from Oceanic. They said as long as it wasn't in the corner or the top frame it's fine. :) ON WITH THE BUILD!!!

Well, if the manufacturer says so... but I personally would still want to have the most integrity I could have in my frame, ESPECIALLY on a 110 gal. That situation would NEVER allow me to sleep at night nor would I be able to concentrate at work!!!

The bottom frame is for looks only. I used Gorilla glue so it should hold up.

Yeah, I know... It does'nt suffer from the same water pressure that the top rim of the tank does by any means, and the silicone at that bottom seam is hogged on there for a pretty strong joint, but the worry wort in me (and the perfectionist nutter) would never let that sit...

I am sure you will be fine, especially since you got word from the manufacturer to that effect...

Just curious, did they ask for photos of the damage when you asked?

Just to let you know, Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive used to bond porous wood together, and although it is water resistant and may appear to bond to glass and ABS plastic at first glance, indeed it is not... You would have done better to hog 100% silicone in there, but even that won't adhere to the ABS frame permanently. It will stick like the business to the tank though.

I emailed the picks to Oceanic tech support and got the reply that all is fine. that is the only reason why I would even go forward.

Back
Top Bottom