Brooksters 29 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to paint it black this weekend, going to see What s there and research as needed, some thing entry level.

Haha, tanks looking good B!
You still fighting algae or is subsiding a bit?
From the pics looks like you have some cyanobacteria/diatoms going on.
You must like green corals.....

Is that a birds nest in the top left?
Yes sir.. there is this guy... he has literally 3000 frags.. I got some. Get this..takes unwanted gift cards at full value:) am I going to kill it??
Haha, tanks looking good B!
You still fighting algae or is subsiding a bit?
From the pics looks like you have some cyanobacteria/diatoms going on.
You must like green corals.....
Algae is tame for now.. weekly wcs and easy feeds. Yes.. greens are pretty cool!
It's looking great!
Thanks man!!

Yes sir.. there is this guy... he has literally 3000 frags.. I got some. Get this..takes unwanted gift cards at full value:) am I going to kill it??

That is a pretty sweet deal considering the alternative for those wasted no good cards, one might NEVER even use!!! And you can buy corals - (y) score!

You have some nice sized coral additions in that tank, colors are already poppin!

~~~
Don't worry Brookster, you are never alone here!

Seeing as you've had this running for a few months (nice update by the way), I'm curious about your opinion on how the day-to-day and week-to-week maintenance compares to running a high tech Planted or fish only tank. Aside from water prep, is it much more work?

Seeing as you've had this running for a few months (nice update by the way), I'm curious about your opinion on how the day-to-day and week-to-week maintenance compares to running a high tech Planted or fish only tank. Aside from water prep, is it much more work?
I mean.. nothing has popped up, things seem to always pop up in the high te h setup. Lot more variables to control. This setup is a 7 gal weekly wc and feeding. Scrape the glass. Pretty easy so far.

It's not dead haha. Super fussy though, always closes up and retracts whenever I get in the tank or do a wc.. other wise pretty ok..

Update, the green candy cane looked sooo much better before, it got smacked by algae and turbo snails, everything else is doing well, I think?? Jumped the gun on a bta. Impulsive?? Sometimes...
ae7d9ce0e37bf4d7d17780cea87dd679.jpg
5a0a5550cb858ea6afb32db3c8909d24.jpg

Last edited:
That BTA look happy, I have one. Just watch it at night and if it's mouth starts to bubble feed it a chunk of food. I use raw shrimp for mine. It was the size of quarter and now is the size of my palm.

Ive learned that the mouth of a bta tells all, I love it. My bta has been my best purchase.

As for the candy canes, I don't have them but maybe keeping your CA up in your tanks will help

Last edited by a moderator:
That BTA look happy, I have one. Just watch it at night and if it's mouth starts to bubble feed it a chunk of food. I use raw shrimp for mine. It was the size of quarter and now is the size of my palm.

Ive learned that the mouth of a bta tells all, I love it. My bta has been my best purchase.

As for the candy canes, I don't have them but maybe keeping your CA up in your tanks will help
Bubbles you say?? I'll keep an eye out. I'll pick up some frozen shrimps as well. The teal candy cane up top is doing great, split a few polyps anyways. The green had a rough month.. I moved it which it hated, dropped it in the process, sand stuck to it which can't be good?? Turbo snail knocked it over twice in a week.. then it was front and center for hair algae nightmare. It's opening backup but not even close to what it was. I don't dose anything, weekly wc is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be fine then. Hopefully it'll perk up soon, some corals just love to throw hissy fits.

A piece of shrimp roughly the size of finger nail weekly will do wonders for a BTA. An when I say bubbles, it's like the area around it's mouth swells up, in mines case it puffs up white. Like it inflates. I've figured out that how it tells me it wants food haha

Back
Top Bottom