Brother wants a 2.5 or 5 gal tank. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
My little brother wants a 2.5 or 5 gal tank. I have a filter for it, but what sort of EASY unkillable fish do you think he should get? He likes my guppies but that's only because I like them I think. Help!

Emerald76

Get him a Betta and a few Neons, easy to keep and very cheap and 'replaceable' fish, or perhaps some shrimp.

Not much else you can do with a 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Easy pets don't exist, but that's just my opinion. I love bettas, and they're such interesting little characters when they're in the proper home. I would not do less than five gallons for a betta if you really want to see them shine, and in a five you could put shrimp or snails or maybe african dwarf frogs. Orrrr just a five gallon itself for the frogs. I honestly wouldn't do tetras in such a small tank, especially since they're schooling fish and prefer 6 or more and would appreciate a large tank.

Sorry I meant by easy something that Isn't going to flop over if he throws a tantrum and refuses to change his water. He likes guppies and wants a blue pair (we can give him a five). I suppose that's what we will go with for him and just take the fry to sell.

Emerald76

might want to consider cherry shrimp...but if he isnt ready to keep up with water changes on a 5 gallon tank, is he really ready for it?

Well he can do the changes- it's just if he is tired I may have to, it's a small tank won't be hard.

Emerald76

Small tank water changes aren't a big deal, but I'd suggest a betta because they have a lot of personality and are very hardy.

That's the thing, he's decided he doesn't like them.

Emerald76

if you lived in my state i would gift you a 20 gallon high that ive got collecting dust.

i would keep checking craigslist. i have 3 perfectly good tanks that were free. otherwise make it a betta or a shrimp tank...maybe do some cool snails. very limited with the 5.

or perhaps he can use it to raise some of your guppy fry until theyre large enough to sell to the lfs for store credit? there's an idea.

Hahaha my parents would kill me. I have seventeen tanks in the basement. I think he could raise guppy fry.

Emerald76

Hahaha my parents would kill me. I have seventeen tanks in the basement. I think he could raise guppy fry.

Emerald76

You have SEVENTEEN tanks?!

Why not just let him take care of one?
Or perhaps merge two tanks and let him make decisions on the empty one?

Because none of the others fit and they aren't set up. It's either one of the fives or one of the 2.5s

Emerald76

You could just get him 2 male guppies, then he won't need to take care of fry and stuff

Just get him 2 african dwarf frogs only if its a 5, 2.5 is small for these guys. Maybe don't get him one until he's older. Theres no reason for you to make yourself more work with 17 tanks if he can't take care of it yet.

Well he shoved a ten into a corner of his desk and won't let me take it down. Goody. Now he thinks he can have a jack Dempsey.

Emerald76

Alright we decided he could have a school of neons, one guppy, and one platy.

Emerald76

I'm taking back the platy if it's too much to handle for him

Emerald76

5 isnt enough for the platy or the neons.

wait when did it get to 10? i still wouldnt do the neons in a 10

In a post. Please read before you criticize. I've kept platies in tens and neons, admittedly a bit active for a ten, are the only way I can keep him from getting an oscar.

Emerald76

In a post. Please read before you criticize. I've kept platies in tens and neons, admittedly a bit active for a ten, are the only way I can keep him from getting an oscar.

Emerald76

Whether people read or not, you will always encounter criticism. It's just human nature. It's my thought that it's done primarily for the sake of the fish and secondarily as supplemental info someone may not be aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom