Brown algae everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon hex. I have brown algae everywhere! It’s on the rock substrate, other rocks in the tank, on my ferns and even spots on the glass ! I have 4 peacock gobys and two Corydoras. Would a algae eating fish, like a plocostomus, be the simple solution to my problem ? Or do I need to come at this at a different measure? I just did a 30% water change yesterday and syphoned out the substrate the best I could, but there is still brown algae on my well everything still except most on the glass I scraped off.

Is this a new tank? Brown usually = diatoms, which will settle out on there own.

#1 Reduce light intensity and length of time they are on per day
#2 Manual removal
#3 Increase water change frequency and amount changed per week

For fish, 6 x oto cats would be my recommendation.

Yes it’s new. I did a fish less cycle for about 7 weeks until everything settled out and bacteria built up, ammonia and nitrite hit 0ppm. And nitrate is about 10ppm. I’ve had the corys in there for two weeks and introduced the 4 gobys 3 days ago. But the ottos will clean up the algae ? And my light hasn’t had a exactly consistent scheduale for on and off. Maybe I should get a timer for my light.

Back
Top Bottom