Brown algae in my angel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jherr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I currently have 29 gal freshwater tank with 4 angelfish in it. They've been in the tank for I'd say, close to 5 months. Just recently I started noticing brown algae forming around the back walls of my tank.

I would really like to introduce an algae eater into this setup. What type of fish would be compatible with my Angels (which are aggressive), that could help cure my algae problem?

TIA

I would go with a Pleco. they are great algae eaters, and can be kept with even the most aggressive cichlids. there are many different types to choose from. Thats my recommendation. good luck!

whitetiger_CJ said:
I would go with a Pleco. they are great algae eaters, and can be kept with even the most aggressive cichlids. there are many different types to choose from. Thats my recommendation. good luck!

thanks for the advice!

for my size of tank, do you reccomend I go with 1 pleco, or more?

depends on the pleco. If it is a normal than I would only get one, but two would be just fine (until htey out grow the tank). If you go with a smaller pleco, like a bulldog, bristlenose, or clown pleco. you could get two or three

stay with smaller plecos.. the smaller they are it seems the more compelled they are to gobble up algae... I have two in my 55 gal, and one just swims around all day while the other one is catching up to him in size because hes eating like a fiend...

There are two types of freshwater brown algae: brown algae (diatoms) and brown slime algae (dinoflagellates). Nitrates are a factor either before a diatom outbreak or during a dinoflagellate outbreak. Test the nitrates. If they are high, start lowering the nitrates. Nitrates harbor nutrients these critters like to eat, but diatoms don't need nitrates to exist and thrive. They just need silicates in the water withouut any competition for food. Nitrates might cause them to increase reproductive capacities more so than a food source especially if the system has high nitrates during a diatom population explosion.

Feel the algae. Rub some in between your finger tips. If it's gritty and seems to disintegrate, then most likely is diatoms and the most you can do is remove it manually or get a pleco or other bottom feeder to eat some of it. Diatoms are not bad. It's just the accumulations are unsightly. They will go away on their own.

If the algae is more less slimy and resists disintegration then most likely it is caused by dinoflagellates which aren't really brown. They just give themselves a brown appearance in accumulation. In this case you need to do some small water changes, check nitrates and a pleco or other bottom feeder may help you as well.

Bristlenose plecos, wide mouth plecos, true flying foxes, and otocinclus are some of the more effective plecos for brown algae.

Please note that the above descriptions of brown algae only applies to freshwater. Saltwater brown algae is different.

When you look at some plecos, look for the one that are always moving around and not just laying in one spot.(lazy ones). Brother-in-law has a bristle nose pleco in his 30gal and he was an eater until he got scared and jumped out of the tank.

Where is your aquarium? If its close to a window it is probably growing brown algae from the sun's UV rays. So the only way to stop it that is to pull the blinds down (if there is any) or move the aquarium away from any windows.

Back
Top Bottom