Brown Algae on Anubis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some Anubis in my discus tank. It was looking really good for a while but now it has some brown algae on the leaves. The temp is around 85. Is that to hot for the plants? Is this causing it? :confused:

How should I care for these plants?
How can i get rid of the algae?
-Thanks Plant Peeps!

If it's just diatoms, you can wipe it off pretty easily. Diatoms are common in new tanks and often pop up if you have a source of silicates. They're really nothing to worry about. Otos love diatoms, but that tank might be a little warm for them.

If the algae doesn't wipe off easily, it's probably BBA. Hydrogen peroxide will kill the algae. I use a syringe to inject the peroxide into the water right next to the algae. Hydrogen peroxide dissociates into water and oxygen in the tank.

I'm going to try wiping it off. I'm also in the market for a pleco to keep things a little cleaner.

Silicates are the main reason (I have learned this the hard way), some substrate although sold as neutral increase silicates levels and cause the bloom.

Back
Top Bottom