Brown algae plague!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
First it's a danio that dies of dropsy, then a repeat outbreak of ich when I managed to break the heater on the big tank and I'm waiting for the replacement to be shipped... Anyway, my 5 gallon tank has one of the worst cases of brown algae I've ever seen. Are there any fish/invertebrates that love brown algae, can live in a brackish tank, and won't add too much to the bioload of a tank at capacity? Do ghost shrimp eat this stuff at all? There are 3 amano shrimp in there that never touch it. I do 50% water changes every week, but there's only so many fish that can live in a 5 gallon...

i dont know what to tell you . I was told a pleko would do the job. I am going through the same thing. That brown crap is so hard to get off the fake plants! I'm still pretty new to this. SO Good Luck For both of us !!!!!!

I've found a easy way to get rid of the algae of the plants. Take the bucket you use for water changes and fill it will really hot water. Then just let the plants sit in it for 10 minutes, give it a quick rinse and place back in the tank.

Here is a link to an excellent article describing various types of algae, their causes and possible solutions.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

In my own experience the fish known as a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) or Thai Flying Fox, with a scientific name of Crossocheilus siamensis, will eat brown algae as well as some of the other types. It is best known as being one of the few fish that will eat black brush algae (BBA).

What you've got is diatoms, JenNewbie. Basically a collection of bacteria in your tank that isn't being eaten up by your nitrifying bacteria. 50% a week on water changes is kinda alot, IMO. How long has your tank been set up? Is it fairly new?

If you cut down your water changes a bit, to say...50% every two weeks, or 20%-30% a week, you wouldn't lose as much bacteria, and there would be enough to kill some of those diatoms. They are also fairly common for new tanks, which is why I was asking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom