Brown Algae suddenly??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoatcheesePizza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey people,
My ten gallon tank has gotten algae on the rocks very recently. I have a couple cory catfish in there as well as one molly (i had more). Should an algae eater solve the problem?

Also my live plants are getting spots that look to me like burn spots? (thats my guess). They are brown and i think its just because i keep the light on too long on the nights i stay up. Can this be reversed or taken away somehow?

All for now,
Thanks.

:dance: Go 7up! :dance:

The algae is normal for newly established tanks, you don't need to worry about an algae eater. It should just brush off

Ahhh... so then the filter will suck up all of it. I will be sure to try that soon! :D Thanks!

Sounds like diatoms. They're harmless, and actually pretty cool under the microscope. Oto's love the stuff, but it should go away on its own. Pictures would confirm it

Here is the algae as well as a leaf of one of my plants. sorry for the bad quality as i took them with my phone...

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 0519112157.jpg
    0519112157.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 61
also its my first tim uploading pics so i had no idea what i was doing. i see one is an image and the other a thumbnail. oops :O lol

I wouldn't be too worried. If you don't like the look, it should wipe right off (hand, brush, towel etc)

Hey thanks guys! the site that Mr. Limpet posted said i could scrape it off, time and/or algae eaters. I didnt get the time today to actually try to scrape/brush it off and I dont really want to because then it would just fill the water with crap wouldnt it? With an algae eater it wouldnt do that. Though it would take longer, you guys said that an algae eater should take care of it so yeah... im going with an oto. I was wanting to get one anyway. :) Thanks everyone. hopefully get one this weekend. If i dont i will then probably do it manually.

GoatcheesePizza said:
Hey thanks guys! the site that Mr. Limpet posted said i could scrape it off, time and/or algae eaters. I didnt get the time today to actually try to scrape/brush it off and I dont really want to because then it would just fill the water with crap wouldnt it? With an algae eater it wouldnt do that. Though it would take longer, you guys said that an algae eater should take care of it so yeah... im going with an oto. I was wanting to get one anyway. :) Thanks everyone. hopefully get one this weekend. If i dont i will then probably do it manually.

Otos do better in groups. They like company.

Back
Top Bottom