Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a brown algae issue. I have recently added live plants and have used some Nutrafin Plant Gro. Now I have brown algae. Cause? Solution??

Hi Jeff, brown Algae is usually caused by not enough light and an excess of nutrients in the water. increase the light over the tank, the plants should grow better and use up those nutrients. can I suggest you hold off on the plant gro for a while. there should be another member along soon who could be of more help. Good Luck!!

Pete

Will snails or coris eat the brown algae.

When you say to increase light, you mean via a bulb. I have a 15W 8000K right now.

I seem to have the algae problem fixed. Not sure how, but it seems to be on a decline.

My algae is back. Can't seem to figure this out. PH is 6.9 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20ppm ish. Waters seems fine. No ferts added other then a few root tabs. Have a bubbler, powerhead so I have good current. 15w light on 8/16. Water is about 25C. All I can figure is overfeeding but the fish eat it all within a few minutes. *shrug*. Any thoughts.

Here it is. Got worse over the last bit. Just got back in town.

Attachments

• image-3084079115.jpg
    image-3084079115.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 87
jeffruth said:
Here it is. Got worse over the last bit. Just got back in town.

Not sure what fish you have, but I got some AES (Amano) and cleaned that off my Java Fern in no time. Ottos cats (?) Are god to from what I've heard. I just got 3 for my big tank, so we'll see :).

What is AES? An additive for the water. I am fasting the fish for a few days to eliminate the possibility of over nutrients. Is to low light a possibility as well?

I guess I could try a wipe it off the plant leaves. Is this recommended??

What is AES? An additive for the water. I am fasting the fish for a few days to eliminate the possibility of over nutrients. Is to low light a possibility as well?

I guess I could try a wipe it off the plant leaves. Is this recommended??

AES=Algae Eating Shrimp (Amano shrimp).

Most people overfeed their fish and unlike an overfed dog or cat (they just get fat lol), overfeeding fish causes lots of excess junk in your tank and algae will make use of those extra nutrients. Low lights is hard to say, but old lights is a possible cause from info I found in the link below.

Yes, you can wipe it off, if it'll come off.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Question (not trying to hijack the thread): what is standard sand (pfs) composed 100% of?

I get my PFS from Leslie's Pool Supply. Interestingly enough, this time he asked me if I want the silica or standard sand. I chose the standard of course and he told me that it's 100% silica free. Something else I learned is that Quikrete PFS is classified as silica sand and this is the stuff HD, Lowe's etc sells I do believe.

Silica can come from new glass and substrate I believe. This could be part of the issue to because my tank and half of the substrate is only 2 months old. I have strictly gravel in my tank.

Just to chime in, I bought a filter pad from the lfs ($9) that has a resin that claims to remove phosphates and silica. Since adding it on, I think I've seen a reduction in the rate the diatoms were growing. It could be coincidence and the diatoms were slowing on their own, but if you've got an extra $9, give it a try.

eco23 said:
Just to chime in, I bought a filter pad from the lfs ($9) that has a resin that claims to remove phosphates and silica. Since adding it on, I think I've seen a reduction in the rate the diatoms were growing. It could be coincidence and the diatoms were slowing on their own, but if you've got an extra $9, give it a try.

I seen things that are suppose to help, but it doesn't solve the cause of it.

I get my PFS from Leslie's Pool Supply. Interestingly enough, this time he asked me if I want the silica or standard sand. I chose the standard of course and he told me that it's 100% silica free. Something else I learned is that Quikrete PFS is classified as silica sand and this is the stuff HD, Lowe's etc sells I do believe.

Quartz sand (what all pool filter sand is) is 100% silicon oxide (SiO2).

Diatoms seem to be under control. Still there but not spreading anymore. Is it true that Ottos will munch on diatoms??

jeffruth said:
Diatoms seem to be under control. Still there but not spreading anymore. Is it true that Ottos will munch on diatoms??

My Otos absolutely devour them. My diatom outbreak just ended about a week ago. I don't know whether the phosphate removing bag helped or if it just ended on it's own. My Otos and Amano shrimp were an awesome cleanup crew and are finishing up the remaining diatoms as we speak. I bought 7 Otos because I heard they have a huge initial die off rate. All 7 of mine are healthy and fat, and I've got to re-home some of them next weekend because I'm afraid that without the diatoms there won't be food to sustain all of them.

Back
Top Bottom