Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a break out of brown algae going on in one of my 125's. Any suggestions on the best brown algae eating fish?

Garra Gotylas or Garra Rufas.
Add them and keep lights on for minimal amounts of time.
Do you add Co2 regularly? If not, that's probably why you've had an outbreak.
Assuming it's growing on plants, I've never had brown algae on anything but live plants.

When I had an outbreak when I first got into planted tanks, all I did was turn the lights off as much as I could, and started adding Flourish Excel plant supplement, and flourish organic supplement (As directed) and 2 weeks later I was brown algae free.

I don't add CO2 at all since it's not a planted tank. I've only got a few live plants. Maybe it isn't brown algae. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• image-3572196375.jpg
    image-3572196375.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1276236125.jpg
    image-1276236125.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-504562709.jpg
    image-504562709.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 66
Brown Algae, aka "Diatoms", is usually caused by silicates in the water. Is this a fairly new tank? New tanks almost always have extended diatom blooms, eventually winding down.

Diatoms and CO2 are almost entirely unrelated.
I generally advocate NOT stocking algae eaters to eat algae. It's almost always a bad idea.
Garra sp. are pretty uncommon, but I know that many of them have a reputation of acquiring a taste for pellets and forgoing algae.

With diatoms you should be able to just rub them off. Some light scrubbing might be needed in spots.

No. This tank has been established for almost a year. I know how to remove them on a short term basis, but I was wondering if there is a more permanent solution. Why are you against stocking algae eaters? Thats seems weird to me. Seems like they are a great solution to algea breakouts. You don't have to feed them if algae is a problem in your tank for whatever reason!

I am against stocking algae eaters for the purpose of eating algae. What happens when the algae's gone? What happens when they decide they don't want to be a good little minion and stop eating algae? It's a bad reason in general to put fish in a tank. Also, there are very few species that will thrive on algae along. Most need supplementation, ie veggies and such.

What kind of substrate are you using? Are you on well water?

Back
Top Bottom