Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been getting brown algae on some of my decor, the back glass of the tank, and now a little bit on the front glass.

I scrubbed it off the back glass 3 weeks ago and that hasn't returned. However, the algae on the decor returns weekly. I do tests every couple days and the water parameters are always fine and i do water changes weekly.

What causes the algae to form and how can i get rid of it?

Im no expert but what is the lighting schedule? Is your tank near a window and getting direct sunlight? Allgea feeds on sunlight and nutrients in the water so its got to be one or both of those causing your algea

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im no expert but what is the lighting schedule? Is your tank near a window and getting direct sunlight? Allgea feeds on sunlight and nutrients in the water so its got to be one or both of those causing your algea

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the lights on a timer. They go on from 12-4, then come back on from 6-10. No direct sunlight.

Could be diatoms. They come from silicates in the water. Silicates can be present in some substrates. Regardless, once the silicates have dissipated the diatoms will disappear.

Caleb

Could be diatoms. They come from silicates in the water. Silicates can be present in some substrates. Regardless, once the silicates have dissipated the diatoms will disappear.

Caleb
So essentially, just keep doing what I'm doing and it'll take care of itself than.

I've been dealing with brown algae for a bit now in my 36 gallon. It's heavily planted, what I've done is cut light back to about 6-7 hours cause I had it on too long. After a few weeks it'll die off, also don't over feed. I wouldn't recommend any algae killer to put in the water since its usually not ok with inverts.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom