Brown and Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in my tank, I have a problem with green and brown algae that is growing. What fish can i get that would eat both that would be fit for a 36 gallon tank? Something that would actually eat them because I bought rubber lip pleco last week that refused to eat any food I put in the tank so I brought him back to my lfs

Actually, I have 80 percent brown algae and 20 percent green

I don't know how much this will help, however I had green and black algae. I bought two Chinese Algae Cats, and with in a few days everything was clean!! I had to give them away because my tank is only 20g, and they get 6'. My daughter has them and she says her tank is clean!!!

To keep make sure your lights are one no more that about 6 hours a day. It really keeps the algae down. Now I use otos, corys and snails. Even in my 10g, my 4 corys are busy all day long and the tank is clean! Good luck and I hope that this has helped.

oh i just read those get to 10 inches which is too big for my tank, what about a striped raphael catfish, those get 8 inches or still too big? anything smaller that eats brown algae? a bristlenose maybe?

oh i just read those get to 10 inches which is too big for my tank, what about a striped raphael catfish, those get 8 inches or still too big? anything smaller that eats brown algae? a bristlenose maybe?

I really don't know about the others. I commented because I had experience with those. And yes, they are good for a semi-aggressive tank. Daughter also has a bristlenose and he is nocturnal, but she says he is pretty good for doing his job. From what she says he is semi aggressive, and will run others off if they are where he wants to get. And that he runs the tank! She did mention that he cleans the filter intake tube and other places that no other fish will. He is fat!! Must be doing something good! Wish I could be of more help. Also!! You have to watch the 'bristles" that he has, meaning that they can break off.

Oh thanks, I'm thinking of getting a bristolenose pleco today, he eats brown algae right

You need to post pic's so we can see what kind of algae you have. There are many different types of algae and algae eaters are very specific about what types of algae they eat. Also you need to address the problem of what is causing the algae and fix it as algae eaters aren't the answer. Once we can see the exact type of algae you have more advice can be given. Right now tho you need to cut your daily lighting down to 6 hours a day as that will give you a good start of reducing your algae problem.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-3920953919.jpg
    image-3920953919.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image-492550131.jpg
    image-492550131.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2207432184.jpg
    image-2207432184.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1852766504.jpg
    image-1852766504.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 63
How long has the tank been set up? From what I can see from the pic's it appears most of the algae is on the glass? From what I can see it looks like some diatoms (brown to brownish yellow) and mostly green dust algae. Both are common in new tank set ups and eventually both will go away on their own. For the glass you can just use an algae magnet but just know that when you rub off dust algae it will just come back until it runs it's course. But at least the glass stays clean. Diatoms also will run their course and are present due to excess silicates in the water. Run your lights only 6 hours a day which will help alot. In this instance your best choice IMO would be getting a couple nerite snails. They eat both types of these algaes and they can't breed in freshwater. I keep nerites in all my tanks.

It's been up for almost 1.5 years now, if the lfs has nerite snails, I might get a few or if they don't, a bristolenose pleco

But what would be a good fish or snail that would survive in a semi aggressive tank because I had a Snail before but it was killed, I has a rubber lip pleco and he's was perfectly fine in the tank

Don't know if they would mess with nerites since they don't have those big antenna that wave around like most snails. Otherwise a BN Pleco is about your only other choice.

Back
Top Bottom