Brown hair algae and Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long dow it normally take for brown hair algae to go away once a tank is cycled? Its everywhere and ugly.

Also, how long does it take for Wisteria to change its leaves from submersed to emersed? I've got new growth on what was labeled Wisteria, but the new leaves look the same as the old and they aren't the fun leaves of the emersed plant.

Thanks

Your Algae Question

How long dow it normally take for brown hair algae to go away once a tank is cycled? Its everywhere and ugly.

Also, how long does it take for Wisteria to change its leaves from submersed to emersed? I've got new growth on what was labeled Wisteria, but the new leaves look the same as the old and they aren't the fun leaves of the emersed plant.

Thanks

Hello Stef...

You just need to remove the algae food source and get some of the little, brown Nerite snails into your tank.

Change half the tank water every week and let the snails eat the algae. You could also float some Water sprite and Pennywort. These are fast growing stems that thrive on the added phosphates and nitrates in the water.

The lighting must be strong for Water wisteria. I've had the best growth from this plant when I floated it close to the surface of the tank and close to the light source. If you plant it, the lower leaves don't get enough light or are shaded by the leaves above it.

Just my experience with this particular plant.

B

I've got pennywort in there and have been doing 50% wc every other day to keep the nitrates at 10 or below. I have a crazy amount of nitrates showing up if I don't watch it. Not a fan of snails of any kind. Too many bad experiences with them in the past.

Maybe the plant was mislabled, it was potted and doesn't seam like it could be floated. It has a pretty heavy root system. I'll have to get a pic of it up. Its had an inch or so of growth to the top and it hasn't been in there a week.

How many hours/day are you leaving your lights on?

How many hours/day are you leaving your lights on?

10-12 hours right now due to not having a timer :ermm:

Here are some pics of what was labeled Wisteria and the hair algae stuff. I got a bunch of it cleaned up with a water change tonight.

img_1800886_0_99c69553ac7ea7bd1e4e97c331cf7ada.jpg

img_1800886_1_bdda86bd8b12e7336f158c3cdf16d43f.jpg

img_1800886_2_d6d303b3b1f1c92b596aa9211cab2c19.jpg

Stefernini said:
10-12 hours right now due to not having a timer :ermm:

Here are some pics of what was labeled Wisteria and the hair algae stuff. I got a bunch of it cleaned up with a water change tonight.

Have you tried decreasing the light? My tanks are super low light, and they get at most 9 hrs of light per day, and I have no algae, andthe plants still grow.

Oh I like wisteria, as long as it doesn't grow weedy! I keep it at super low light (29g with a simple 17watt bulb), and it will change leaf forms but will continue growing very quickly. Nothing kills it!

I agree, if you are having algae problems decrease your photo period. I've had one as short as 4 hours a day in an effort to erradicate algae. What kind of lights are you running?

dual t5 54w 6500k bulbs.

Until I get a timer, I can't shorten it a whole lot. The best I could do is turn it on and off right before and after work, but then I don't get to enjoy it at all :(

Can anyone tell if the plant I posted is in fact wisteria? or something else?

Thanks!

The brown stuff is breaking up and no new stuff is showing up, so I think it is just new tank syndrome stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom