Brown live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stridesy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new member here, and new to marine aquaria!

I have a 58 ltr nano aquarium, set up for two weeks now, all levels seem fine so far, no major peaking at the moment.

About a week ago the live rock started turning brown, after advice from my preferred and local marine shop they advised getting a cleaner shrimp and a couple of hermit crabs, but this doesnt seem to be working to clear the brown covering. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks all.

Chris

Its called diatoms, and it comes with all new aquariums. It should go away after a bit, but if it doesnt that means you have high phosphates

Gboy66 said:
Its called diatoms, and it comes with all new aquariums. It should go away after a bit, but if it doesnt that means you have high phosphates

Lovel thanks mate, some1 told me a couple of turbo snails might help???

Don't add any livestock including inverts until your cycle is complete. While you do need to be sure you have no phosphates which will cause other algaes, the brown stuff you are seeing is diatom. Diatom consumes silicates which are in every new system. They will die off on there own once the silicates are depleted. It is a sign that you are nearing completion of your cycle.

Have you been testing your water? Now is a good time to start doing the tests yourself. At the least, you will want to test for Am, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph. Once you get ready to start corals (assuming you are going reef) you will want to test calcium, magnesium, phosphate and hardness (kh).

Been using a ph tester and no2 tester kit, as well as salinity float device. Would you advise more testing aswell?

Back
Top Bottom