Brown slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone I have a 180g reef tank with about 180lbs of liverock and a 2.5" sand bed. This tank has been setup for about 6 months in my house, was previously setup for 6 years from the person I bought it from.

The last two months have been hard for me, tons and tons of brown "spider webs" all over the tank. I'll clean every spot off the glass, and in two days it will be back. My tank is acrylic so I can't use anything hard or sharp to get it off so it is a huge pain.

Nitrates-0
Ammonia-0
PH-8.3
Calcium-495
Nitrites-0

I use RO-DI water every water change which is about 10g a week plus a top off of 8g of fresh RO-DI water for the evaporated water.

I have tried everything.

My tank has like no fish in it for its size.

One regal tang, small yellow tang and a mandarin goby. They are all under 3".

I have it stocked with corals... Too many to list... I use a 60g fuge with filter socks for intake then to protein skimmer and then caulpera macro.

Any help needed
Thanks

-Tropical water diver? and marine lover.?????

Do you test for phosphates?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the best way to reduce phosphates?

Larger water changes. What kind of food do yiu feed?

Water changes aren't helping. Even when I did a 50g change. I feed one cube of mega marine algae once every three days

My phosphates are really high... They are at 2.0

Do you just throw the whole cube in the tank?

Also whats the tds of the ro/di water?

Phosphates still at 2.0 even after a 40g water change

That makes sense really. You changed about 25% +/- of your water. That means you left 75% there. So you also left 75% of the phosphates behind. So 1.5 is the mathematical result, no accounting for any rise since your last P+ test. A reading of 2.0 is about what you'd expect.
I've said it before, water changes, even significant ones (up to 25%) do little for nutrient export. It really helps with replacing elements removed.
You need a more efficient method of phosphate removal, such as Phosgaurd or a macro algae in a sump.

I have a ton of macro algae in my REFUGIUM you would know that if you read what I said earlier

Back
Top Bottom