Brown slime/hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfm224

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank has been running for 7 weeks. Finished cyclying about 3 weeks ago. For the last 2.5 weeks I have been getting a huge amount of brown slime/hair algae. It's all over my rocks and sand. I've tried turbo snails but they don't go near it. I brought my water to the lfs and everything tested fine. I was told that my tank was still new and eventually "good" algae would overcome this current algae.

I have had this brown slime/hair for 2.5 weeks though. Reducing the lighting period to only one bulb (actinic) for 10 hours does help a little, but once i turn both bulbs back on the algae seems to come back. I've cleaned it and done a 15% water change with bottled water (tank was initially started with tap), but it comes back the next day.

Should I just not use the light for a couple of weeks? Or should I just tough it out and hope for the good algae to take over? Is it ok to let the algae grow with out cleaning it in the meantime? Any advice appreciated.

37 g
20 lbs live rock
2" DSB
CPR Bak Pak 2 Skimmer
2 x 65 W PC (dual daylight + dual actinic)
1200 Maxijet powerhead

pH: 8.3 (w/ sea chem buffer)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0

2 false percula clowns
4 turbo snails
3 blue legs
1 red leg
emerald green crab

Diatoms is normal for a new system. Is your skimmer producing dark thick skimmage? If so, how much per day?

It varies....Maybe a quarter cup a day. But I don't run the skimmer for about 8 hours a night b/c it is somewhat loud. Not sure if this is normal but the skimmer produces foam that eventually turns into a brown liquid in the collection cup.

It varies....Maybe a quarter cup a day. But I don't run the skimmer for about 8 hours a night b/c it is somewhat loud. Not sure if this is normal but the skimmer produces foam that eventually turns into a brown liquid in the collection cup.

I would run it longer, full time if you can stand the noise. That would help a lot. Yes it is supposed to be brown.

what about the lights...should I keep running them or reduce the lighting period? Is it bad not to clean the algae at least for a week?

No if the algae is really annyoing you you could leave the lights off for a day or two. I did this with my cyano problem whiped it right out I'm not sure if what you have is that samw stuff though because it happened due to cycling. I would also suggest a cleaning crew if not already invested.

Back
Top Bottom