brown sludge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank which is planted and I saw that I am getting a lot of brown sludge, how could I get ride of it my one friend suggested using a stress coat made from API and I have been using it for about 3 weeks but I am not seeing a change. Any advice?

What do you mean by brown sludge? Where is this sludge found? In the substrate? On the glass? In the filter? Can you provide a picture?

It's on the glass, decorations and airstones, ill try to post a pic later tonight when I get home, the fish seem to be happy and normal, its just very unappealing

The sludge you can see is on the clear tube and on the tube for the filter, sorry for my angel in the way he just loves attention haha, and the airstones are the objects that bubbles come out of, I just call them airstones

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_092733.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_092733.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20130116_092746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_092746.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 73
I can't really tell by the pictures, but it looks like "brown algae" or diatomes. Check your nitrate and phosphate levels. Feed less and do large regular water changes.

yes it looks like diatomes or brown algae... i agree.. feed less and do larger more frequent PWCs....

for the time being.. i would suggest a 20% PWC per day for a week... after that i would up it to 40ish% every week... should be under control in no time...

Back
Top Bottom