Brown spots on glass??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diatoms. Brown "algae". Usually seen in new tanks but can pop up from time to time in established tanks if they can. They use silica in creating their outer shell so once that source is used up they should go away. Just scrub them off for now and keep and eye out. What are you water parameters?

It is just brown algae. It appears in every new tank and should go away in about 8 weeks. My new tank is up for about 7 weeks. First I had everything in it covered in brown algae, well not right away but maybe after 3 weeks from starting. My wisteria plant was totally brown, I was afraid it's not gonna make it. 3 oto cats and frequent PWC helped. So now my plants, sand and rocks are almost free of it but it started to appear on glass. Scrubbing, PWC and some patience are all you need. It will go away.

Will OTOS help? I have read they're not recommended until tank is super well established... 6-12 mths... After my newbie experiences NOTHING is coming home till things are perfect.. But, if they will help, then I'm all for it. Don't want to risk the Otos health though.

ocminpin said:
Will OTOS help? I have read they're not recommended until tank is super well established... 6-12 mths... After my newbie experiences NOTHING is coming home till things are perfect.. But, if they will help, then I'm all for it. Don't want to risk the Otos health though.

IMO you shouldn't buy ottos to clear diatoms unless they are an ongoing problem. Just wait it out. They should clear eventually on their own.

Eventually when I've been established at least 6 months ( around next April ), how many Otos would you recommend for a 29 gal?

I put 3 Otos to my new tank, right after it cycled. They are doing just fine!

If u have the space 5-6 otto's is a nice little school in a 29 but it depends on whats in the tank or going to be in there. IMO I wouldn't go less than 3 if need be. Also u need to supplement their diet with veggie wafers and blanched veggies to sustain em. The soft algae wont last long in the tank after they get through with it. Also driftwood is needed for them. They are very peaceful but watch out for larger fish that can eat them.
I'm thinking about taking a couple rocks and putting em in direct sunlight so algae will grow on em and than put those in the tank for my lil guys but idk if this is a good idea or not. Hope this helps :)

what is a PWC? WC is water change, what is P? Sorry, never heard it before! My pleco goes insane for diatoms, but a bounty towel disposes of them rather quickly :)

I feel so stupid. Wow wow wow. Thank you Mumma, I am not sure how I didn't realize that. Thanks!

I. Am. Plotting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom