Brown stuff on decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this stuff on my plants? Is it harmful to the fish?

image-69070365.jpg

Brown algae is another name for diatoms. Most new tanks get diatoms. They are not harmful to fish. Otocinclus catfish eat them. Keep your lighting to less than 8 hours a day, unless you have otos, because if you do they will eat the brown algae as fast as it appears. Of course if you up the light too much even with otos you will get different kinds of algae. If you don't want to get otos, or they are not compatible with the fish in your tank then simply clean the decor and reduce the lighting. As the tank ages they generally go away.

Brown algae is another name for diatoms. Most new tanks get diatoms. They are not harmful to fish. Otocinclus catfish eat them. Keep your lighting to less than 8 hours a day, unless you have otos, because if you do they will eat the brown algae as fast as it appears. Of course if you up the light too much even with otos you will get different kinds of algae. If you don't want to get otos, or they are not compatible with the fish in your tank then simply clean the decor and reduce the lighting. As the tank ages they generally go away.
I agree
No just for 8-10 hours I have a tiner
A great tool to have in your cleaning for this is a new toothbrush. If you have really heavy or stubborn algae, you could always soak them in a water/bleach solution. Just put them in the shower for 5mins afterwards and let them air dry...

Alright thanks will do

Back
Top Bottom