Brownish Clumpy Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gg99free

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.K. My tank seems to be doing great. I have 8 Neon Tetra's and 2 Oto's in a 28G Hex tank. I do 10% water changes weekly and everyone seems to be doing great for a few months now. Now the problem. I have a few pieces of Driftwood in the tank and they seem to be sprouting some Brownish Clumpy Algae. The Oto's seem to eat it, along with everything else algae but 1 of my oto's just died and I'm wondering if it isn't from that weird Brownish stuff. Anyone have any similar problems on driftwood?

Thanks 8O

Brown algae

Forms in soft brown clumpy patches. In the freshwater aquarium, these are usually diatoms. Usually indicates a lack of light or an excess of silicates. Increased light levels will usually make it disappear. Easily removed by wiping the glass or siphon vacuuming the affected area.

Got this from:

http://www.aquaticscape.com/information/algae/algae.htm#brown

from what I have read it dosn't seem like that would have killed the fish.

Thanks,

I appreciate the response. So far so good. Everyone is healthy and happy so I think I have to go with the lighting being the problem. All I have is a 14W Bulb over the tank. However, it is placed in the kitchen which gets lots of light from the sun naturally during the day (Did this on purpose since 14W just doesn't cut it in a 28G Hex.) Green algae seems to flourish and my remaining Oto seems to love it! Maybe the other guy was just sick and that's all there was to it. Oh well, I'll be purchasing a few more otto's come this weekend for my algae clean up crew.

(Mental note: Remove UG Filter and add live plants. Natural Lighting should be good in the kitchen, Right!?)

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom