BTA sick or dying?i've looked on the other threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goose199

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Type & how long you have had it: green bubble tip anemone I have had 3 weeks

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: LED Fluval sea marine and reef 25000k

3. Nitrate: about 2.5ppm closer to 0

4. Calcium:

5. Phosphate:

6. Alkalinity:

7. pH: 8

8. Salinity: 1.023

9. Temperature: 77

10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid kit

11. Location in tank:eek:n rock sometimes hanging upside down

12. Current amount of flow:2 power heads

13. Current tank dosing regimen:

14. Nearby coral:

15. Explanation of problem: my BTA seems to slowly be getting worse and worse. My tank is only 2 months old, I realize now that it may be too young for an anemone. I try spot feeding it daily. All my other corals and fish are doing great. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401498211.358920.jpg

Definitely too young for an anemone. Try to get it out before it does and pollutes your water. Did you test for ammonia? It might not be cycled yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The culprit in this case would be the lighting. Not strong enough. Anemone need high intensity lighting, which can be in the 2-3 watts per diode with LEDs. I'd want to upgrade them, the taotronic LEDs can grow anything photosynthetic your heart desires for cheap. They cover about 2 ft of tank.

Ammonia is zero. I will have to watch him. I don't really have anywhere to put him. If I get that type of light is there a chance to save it?

I actually thought my lights were too strong and that was why it was hiding upside down to get cover

That's what makes it so cost efficient when it comes to your electricity bill.

Is it possible for my BTA to come back if I was to upgrade lights tomorrow? Or is it past the point of no return?

Are you planning to have corals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have corals now that are doing well and are healthy. I will check out new lighting. Is there a specific type or brand I should look for. They originally told me the lights I bought would be good for fish and reef...that must not include anemones or being "great" for reef

There are different levels of reef lighting. Soft corals are pretty low lighting where SPS are high intensity and have very similar light requirements to anemone and clams.

Thank you very much for your help, it would be nice if I could return my light and pay the difference for the upgrade since I bought the lights and they said they would be good for my coral and anemone

Back
Top Bottom