bubble like crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know what it is, but i have tons of little micro bubbles floating through my tank. I think its coming from overflow into my fuge. I've tried solving the problem by installing buffers after the overflow and before the return...still no luck. I then installed foam right before the return coming off the fuge...still no luck. I can install more form between the overflow and fuge, but I didn't know if anyone had any other ideas.

Any info would be appreciate.

Thanks

Are there lots of bubbles in the fuge? Could be cavitation from the pump or a very small leak in the plumbing. Is there any restriction to the intake of the pump?

I don't believe there are any restrictions in the intake, but there may be a leak in the return from the pump. Maybe the pump is too strong for the tank. I have a Little Giant 4MDQX on a 72 bow with a 35 gallon, homemade, refuge.

What do you think? Does the foam hurt anything?

The foam will collect detrtus and prevent pods and such from the fuge from making to the tank, but if they are kept clean they won't hurt much. That's a fairly big pump for a 72, you can try adding a ball valve on the output of the return, but if there is a small leak, it's still gonna put bubbles in the tank.

Everything except the plumbing connected to the pump and I had to use some adapters to connect the pump to the bulkhead connected to the fuge. The leak is probably locate there, you think?

If I find the leak, should I remove the foam? Or should I remove the foam period? Is it going to do more harm than good? I want to do whats best for the tank.

If I find the leak, should I remove the foam?

If it stops the micro bubbles from entering the tank...then yes.

Or should I remove the foam period? Is it going to do more harm than good? I want to do whats best for the tank.

The micro bubbles can actually cause problems for some inverts (they irritate them and can be ingested) and fish (less likely), IMO, the bubbles are a larger problem than the foam, provided you keep the foam clean, rinsing it at least weekly maybe twice per week.

I had to use some adapters to connect the pump to the bulkhead connected to the fuge. The leak is probably locate there, you think?

It's as likely a place as any, did you use PVC glue or plumbers tape for the adapters?

I did use pvc glue because I was sure if that was going to be the pump permanent position. Just about every other piece is glued. I'd prefer not glueing the pump, due to fear that I will never be able to change it or repair it. I'm thinking about creating another post to see how other people connected there pump to the bulk head. I couldn't find the exact adapter that would screw into the pump and onto the bulkhead;that was the problem.

Back
Top Bottom