Bubbling CO2 into canister intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudeep21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 2.5 ft planted tank, with moderate bioload, 72W PL lighting (~2W/gal) . I am using a Jeabo 825 (1000 L/hr) canister filter, with biohome, Ceramic Rings and filterwool.

Have a DIY co2 setup. For diffusing CO2 into the water, I tried using an airstone, which was not very effective. I have now moved the airstone under the intake of my canister filter. All the fine CO2 bubbles get sucked in and dissolved nicely. Plants pearling now :D

My only concern if this will kill the Biological Bacteria in the canister? How about carbonic acid corroding the canister parts? Also, I switch off the C02 at night. Is it advisable?

Any comments appreciated....

I don't think it will harm your bioload at all, but there is some evidence that it can damage the filter over time. Another way to go is to plumb the CO2 line into your outflow, right after it leaves the canister, to achieve similar results and spare your filter.

The CO2 will hurt the impaler the most. As for bioload, i am not sure how much the effect of CO2 on the bacteria.

You can buy those cheap and tiny water pump as alternative to diffusing.

Forget about those CO2 diffuser (Azoo,Sera,JBL, etc) as the tiny china made pump will cost cheaper, at least in M'sia. :D

HTH

I drilled a hole in a short clear clear tube and placed it inline with my intake on my Magnum 350 so it can be used as a bubble counter. It's been there about 7 months, and I cant find any damage yet. I figure there is enough flow going past the impeller, the concentration of carbonic acid is relatively low.

magnum's have a bottom mount impeller, so they can't airlock and burn up the motor. most canister filters are top mount, so they can airlock, and thus the motor could burn up.

Back
Top Bottom