How to increase effectiveness of CO2 bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

I currently have my CO2 system running and the diffuser is sitting directly below the output nozzle of my filter. I ideally the bubbles would go up and get pushed throughout the tank. The nozzle is a little too far forward and 80% of the bubbles go straight to the surface behind the nozzle. Since my Atomic diffuser has to mount to the side of the tank, I can't push it further out. Can anything be done to get more bubbles into the water flow?

Would it be wise to put the diffuser right below the filter intake tube to get sucked in? Or would the CO2 disburse before coming out of the output nozzle? I have a Fluval 206 canister filter. Thank you!

The problem is I do not have space for that. But I understand the concept. That is actually why I was wondering if I placed the diffuser directly below my intake line if it would do the exact same thing as the intake would suck in almost all of the bubbles. I just did not know if the CO2 would somehow get lost in the process of running through my filter and back into the tank although it is a seal system.

I wouldn't put it under the intake just to be safe. You said you have a canister filter? you could get a set of lily pipes and place the diffuser under the outflow of the lily pipes (doesn't have to be lily, could be lotus for example)

Can you mount diffuser on the glass at the same level of the nozzle and then point the nozzle directly at the diffuser? I'm currently doing that and the result is a mist of very fine bubbles. Probably similar to what one would get using an inline diffuser. The strong current passing over the surface of the diffuser prevents the CO2 gas from accumulating on the surface (resulting in smaller bubbles).

If you wanted to put the difusser out from the glass so as to get the bubbles into the flow better you could get a piece of tile. Put the suction cups onto the tile. Then you could cover it a bit with substrate if you wanted or just get a tile that blends in ok. Then you could place it wherever you need? Just a thought

Thank you to everyone with the ideas. The output nozzle is in the middle of the tank shooting outward. I have pictures of it for reference in my profile, as well as my rebuild in my signature. It does capture some bubbles, but not all of them. Before now I did not worry, but now I am started to see GSA and BBA and I want to combat that before it even takes off. Which the first step is increase CO2 for me.

When I increased phosphate and/or decreased lighting, GSA went away.
I try to increase water changes to reduce the amount of (inorganic?) waste for long term BBA control.

When I increased phosphate and/or decreased lighting, GSA went away.
I try to increase water changes to reduce the amount of (inorganic?) waste for long term BBA control.

I will try that. The lighting is currently at 8 hours. I do 50% water changes weekly, but I noticed detritus is starting to accumulate now that the rebuilt tank is fully established. I will try to suction that up on Sunday.

I like my max mix reactor ($17), but if you don't have space an inline diffuser may work in less space. If I were going inline I'd use this glass one, but this plastic one is smaller, and I've heard good things about it. You may find you lose co2 if you feed bubbles to your intake as chemical media wash it out.

Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DGJEGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Fc-7ybHMTX1FH

Glass Inline CO2 Atomizer Diffuser System for Aquarium Planted Tank (13mm for 12/16mm (1/2'' ID) Hose) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCJ3HN4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_c797ybEKK2W5W

U.P. Aqua Inline Co2 Atomizer System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HKMO06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Dd-7ybD53NJ36

The problem with that is I need to change out my tubing. Right now I have the ribbed tubing, which would not work. I know I need to, and I will. Just for the time being did not know if positioning it better somehow would help.

The problem with that is I need to change out my tubing. Right now I have the ribbed tubing, which would not work. I know I need to, and I will. Just for the time being did not know if positioning it better somehow would help.
Oh yeah, I missed that you were running a fluval. I had the exact same problem with my 206, a filter that served me very well for like 15 years. I was going to try these adapters out that other folks said would do the job. Does your output have a duck bill fitting on it like this? Perhaps that would spread the flow out and catch your diffuser bubbles. You could also use a separate powerhead, like a lower priced maxijet, to suck up bubbles. I actually miss that ribbed hose, it never kinked and was easier to route.

1492180581216.jpg1492180596617.jpg1492180604575.jpg

I believe the newer ones look like this. Perhaps you could remove the suction cups and place the diffuser into the end of the nozzle.IMG_2449.JPG

Back
Top Bottom