Bud's 55g dirted tank journal thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a feeling they'll warm up to the wafers eventually. Whenever I put one in the tank now, my Pleco notices it within a minute every time! No matter where I drop it in! They might have to get used to them for a while. They probably have enough food right now around the tank.

I've noticed that I could use some more mechanical filtration. There still seem to be those soapy bubbles at the surface, so I'm still using and replacing carbon - so I can't add an extra pad there or anything. I'm thinking I may just get an inexpensive canister for supplemental filtration. If I can get my paypal and bank account all into place before the sale ends, I'll get one of these: CFS 500 GPH Canister Filter External Aquarium Freshwater Marine 75 100 G Odyssea | eBay Obviously, 500 gph plus the AC70 would be too much, but it it has adjustable flow, I've seen people use these on 29g's. If I can't get everything squared away by the time the sale ends, I'll just get one of these: Sunsun HW 302 3 Stage Aquarium External Canister Filter 264 GPH Up to 75 Gallon | eBay . That's more in the neighborhood of what flow rate I'm actually looking for, but with the CFS500 I could get 140 gph more for an additional $5. Great deal if I can get it by then.

Also, today I fed some cucumber, to see if the plecos like that better. They didn't seem to notice it at first, they would be an inch away and not go to it, which worried me. But, a little while later, they found them. I hope everyone ate, but I'm not for sure because a couple would just swim laps around half the tank over and over again like they always do, not really inspecting the substrate for food.

Here's are two pics of them eating:

Also, here's an additional shot, I just like this one:

A good rainbow picture still eludes me, but I'm still trying :lol:

Last edited:
I've noticed that I could use some more mechanical filtration. There still seem to be those soapy bubbles at the surface, so I'm still using and replacing carbon - so I can't add an extra pad there or anything. I'm thinking I may just get an inexpensive canister for supplemental filtration. If I can get my paypal and bank account all into place before the sale ends, I'll get one of these: CFS 500 GPH Canister Filter External Aquarium Freshwater Marine 75 100 G Odyssea | eBay Obviously, 500 gph plus the AC70 would be too much, but it it has adjustable flow, I've seen people use these on 29g's. If I can't get everything squared away by the time the sale ends, I'll just get one of these: Sunsun HW 302 3 Stage Aquarium External Canister Filter 264 GPH Up to 75 Gallon | eBay . That's more in the neighborhood of what flow rate I'm actually looking for, but with the CFS500 I could get 140 gph more for an additional $5. Great deal if I can get it by then.

Also, today I fed some cucumber, to see if the plecos like that better. They didn't seem to notice it at first, they would be an inch away and not go to it, which worried me. But, a little while later, they found them. I hope everyone ate, but I'm not for sure because a couple would just swim laps around half the tank over and over again like they always do, not really inspecting the substrate for food.

Here's are two pics of them eating:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/bud2_9/media/CIMG2174_zpsc297cbf4.jpg.html

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/bud2_9/media/CIMG2173_zps9c769816.jpg.html

Also, here's an additional shot, I just like this one:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/bud2_9/media/CIMG2155_zpsc9dc9e9d.jpg.html

A good rainbow picture still eludes me, but I'm still trying :lol:

Bffs forever and ever lol. They're always next to each other.

Well, I ordered the SunSun HW-302 today. Even though the Odyssea one was more economical considering the flow rate you got, over and over again I heard reviews of it leaking. Since I would've ended up turning it down to the flow rate of the sunsun anyway, I just played it safe.

Also, the pleco activity level dropped massively today. I have no idea what triggered the drop, but it's a bit worrisome. Any insight on the situation is greatly appreciated. When I noticed it I immediately checked my parameters, and they are all fine. (0 amm. 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate) My best guess is that they're just settled into their new home now, but the fact that the drop was so sudden worries me.

Thanks all! I've been a bit busy but a short update:

The canister came Friday. I really am liking it so far - my only complaint is that in the description it said "3 filter pads" - and since there were 3 media baskets, I figured I didn't need to buy any more pads. Turns out the pads are only .75" thick, so 3 fit in one basket :lol: So, currently I'm running 1 pad per basket until the other 6 I ordered arrive. The pads are very fine, so they are trapping lots of debris - already with just the 3 pads, the water seems clearer. Also, the thing is DEAD silent. It refuses to make a noise. So, all in all, I'm pretty happy with it - especially considering the price ;)

About the plecos and activity level - I did a water change, and they immediately seemed more active. Not sure why, but I'm not going to complain. There seem to be days now on which they are less active, and days which they are more active on, but nothing severe or worrying.

The plants also seem to be doing well, I'll post some pictures tomorrow hopefully. The tiny tissue-cultured crowns of downoi are getting larger, the biggest probably 2" in diameter. The lower leaves of both the ludwigia glandulosa and the ludwigia verticillata "curly/tornado" melted shortly after being added to the tank - they are growing back now (slowly but surely) but still don't look great. The rotala indica is getting taller and is looking pretty nice, though. Also, all the crypts are loving the dirt.

I wouldn't bother with brand specific filter pads.. ever. Instead for canister filters just buy a cut to size filter pad and use that. I use it on my eheim ecco and it works amazingly well.

If I were you I would just stuff them with polyfill and bio media :)

I'm most likely going to fill the rest of the space with polyfill, since it seems that I'll have a small amount of extra room left in each basket. I'll probably not do bio media though, since I mainly got the canister to help with mechanical filtration - something like bioballs or ceramic rings really wouldn't help much with that.

Been several days since I've updated this -

The filter pads did come, and they are very fine - they easily could be called polisher pads. They are about as effective as polyfill, they look very similar as well. (Pad on bottom, polyfill sheet on top) The water is now very clear, I am impressed. I did end up filling the extra media basket room with some polyfill, however there wasn't that much space left over.

I am planning a small rescape soon, I am hoping to add 2 kleiner prinz swords to the background and removing a large portion of the manzanita (while keeping some for the plecos).

Also, it is in the plans to upgrade lighting. I am so far very unsatisfied with the growth speed and color I'm getting from my plants, so I hope to get another dual T5HO fixture once I get the money. If I start to get major algae issues I can always take 1 bulb out, but I really think I can do it. I'll obviously increase my PPS-Pro and glut dosing, just getting the amounts locked in will be tricky.

How's the tank been? Aything to report to us? I also wanted to try to get a second t-5 dual fixture on my 55 and I wanted to see if you've had any algae problems with the extra light. Some pics of the tank would be cool too!:)

It's been a while :) I've been really busy - and no signs of that letting up any time soon.

So far, no issues with the doubled light level. I had a small amount of green spot algae for about a day, I upped the PO4 and it was gone. Also, since the reflectors on the odyssea fixtures are known to not be insanely quality, I'm thinking of getting these soon: Aquatic Life T5-HO Polished Reflector Retrofit Kit - 48"

I've heard that good reflectors can increase PAR by as much as 50%. So, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I really don't have room on the tank for any more fixtures, so just trying to use what I have :D

As for scaping, plants, photos, etc. - pictures will come, not sure when, though. I did do a rescape, and added 3 Echinodorus "Kleiner Prinz," some Nesaea pedicillata "golden," rotala macrandra, Ludwigia glandulosa, and some Limnophila hippuroides. Right now, the tank is in transition so it's not the best time for pics.

I also ordered some ludwigia sp. red, blyxa japonica, and bacopa sp. "japan." They SHOULD have come today, but didn't. Once I get all the new plants in and everything gets filled in nicely, I think I'm going to start a rescape journal, as this thread definitely lost steam.

Back
Top Bottom