Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No livestock yet :-(

Test results still stink. I'm wondering if my test kit is bad. Expiration dates are supposedly good still. But after a few water changes, the results are still exactly the same.

Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
Temp 81.5

I hate having to use color. My reading can be pretty much close to whatever I want depending on how I hold it in the lite, so which one would therefore be correct? Well I choose the highest I see, though like with nitrate, I can see 80 or I can see 20. Ph I can almost let it become 8.4 also.

Oh and I had a little starfish but he looks like he lost a leg somewhere. He had 5. But he is bigger. Also have a snail or two floating around.

Used Purple Up to see the flow, my water didn't get cloudy at all. I saw little "particulates" floating around, so I am assuming that's what I was looking for and as far as I can tell there are no dead spots.

i believe your supposed to hold the tube about an inch away from the card and look through it, all in decent lighting. some of the parameters wont change immediately after a pwc:)

i believe your supposed to hold the tube about an inch away from the card and look through it, all in decent lighting. some of the parameters wont change immediately after a pwc:)

How about after 3 or 4 pwc's?

I've held the tube every which way, under hmmm 7 different lights in 7 different rooms lol. I do that so I can get the most accurate. I've found one bathroom to be the best for the readings. My readings are still the same no matter how far or close (I do various). Hmm ok sounds like I'm rambling. I'm not, I (how to say this without sound witchy) lol, I know how to read the tests and tubes (from other experiences at work and testings/readings taken). The color chart needs some work, There needs to be more "dramatic" differences for accuracy. I looked into pinpoints and controllers and from their reviews, I'm not spending that kinda money if the accuracy is not really any different than these liquid tests.

Do you have a close lfs that will test sw for you just to confirm your readings ( have them write down the #s ) but I would suspect that your nitrate test is shot mine did the same

Nice rock work. It just looks a little less on the right. And glad to see everything is coming along. Get ready to order your clean up crew cuz I'm sure you'll get those nitrates and ammonia down good luck.

i used Red Sea test kits, and i noticed that the green stuff that settled in the "A" bottle of the first kit wasnt mixing when i would shake it up, so i ran it against a newer test and it was wayyy off.

I'll bring some water in today and see if they will test.

Thanks Ibrahim.

You can get test kits that include an electronic colorimeter that will read the results more accurately that your eye can. Several podcasts that review these. Don't know what they cost, but can't be too bad.

LFS Test Results

Ok, so I went to the only LFS here that could do tests.

Theirs:

ph 8.8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Mine:

ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Big differences. I went to 3 different places today that carry tests. They either have strips, none or API, one place did carry individual tests brand name nutrafin, 11.00-15.00 per test. But jeepers creepers I JUST BOUGHT that kit in what may/june of this year. Money doesn't grown on trees, I work hard for that stuff to just go, "Oh, well I'll buy another one".

Ugg

So what would happen to my "live" rock, if I just turned everything off, said the heck with it for now and ordered new test stuff when I could afford it.

Seems like the ---- is hitting the fan. 5 weeks off and nothing to show for it. Shhhh no venting here, not cool not good. But dang it I can't even get my tank SUITABLE for habitation. GRRRR

Sorry i'll shhh

Buffy said:
Ok, so I went to the only LFS here that could do tests.

Theirs:

ph 8.8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Mine:

ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Big differences. I went to 3 different places today that carry tests. They either have strips, none or API, one place did carry individual tests brand name nutrafin, 11.00-15.00 per test. But jeepers creepers I JUST BOUGHT that kit in what may/june of this year. Money doesn't grown on trees, I work hard for that stuff to just go, "Oh, well I'll buy another one".

Ugg

So what would happen to my "live" rock, if I just turned everything off, said the heck with it for now and ordered new test stuff when I could afford it.

Seems like the ---- is hitting the fan. 5 weeks off and nothing to show for it. Shhhh no venting here, not cool not good. But dang it I can't even get my tank SUITABLE for habitation. GRRRR

Sorry i'll shhh

Didn't you just finish putting all your rock in.Patience is the key,don't try to rush things.You have your base rock in and some live rock,right?
I promise you that if you do this you will be good to go in two weeks or less.Turn your lights off and leave them off for at least a week.Keep everything else,filters,power heads and skimmer running 24/7.Test after a week and see then what readings you get.The bacteria from your live rock will have had time to spread to your other rock and sand and you will probably see a little junk in your skimmer cup.

Don't be moving the rock around,just let things run.

Good Luck

Leave it alone. This is not an instant gratification hobby. Much like gardening, or building boats out of tooth picks, rushing and being impatient will ruin the experience for you. This is one of those things that you view in the next few month, or years as "being worth it." There is no "reef in a box" product. That's what makes it interesting, not everyone can do it because it requires study and patience. Get your "zen on," contemplate the fish tank, be the fish tank... ;-)

Thanks guys.

I was going into a long drawn out explanation, but have changed my mind. I'm going to mow the lawn though I feel like crap, least I will see progress there.

Mowing IS instant gratification. That's why when I am tense, something like mowing is fine. Just look over your shoulder at what a nice job you are doing. Just don't hit a tree while doing so. A reef tank is like a tea pot, it won't boil if you are staring at it. Good luck.

Buffy I'm almost 6 months in and I haven't got my first coral yet. I'm not ready.. but almost!

scottayy said:
Buffy I'm almost 6 months in and I haven't got my first coral yet. I'm not ready.. but almost!

That's because you spent to much time with Rubber Maid in your sump.LOL
Just kidding,glad you got your sump set up good now.

Heck, I'm 20 years in and I probably still haven't a clue what I am doing...but one thing for sure, I have found my limits on what I can do over the long haul. It's why I applaud Carey for her diligence in trying to keep the more difficult species alive and thriving. I met Julian Sprung once and believe me, he eats, thinks, breaths and works with fish and coral. It is his passion. It is why he and others can show off reefs that the rest of us envy.

keep your head up Buffy:) youll pull through and be for the better. then youll have a tank that others envy

I don't want a tank others will envy, I just want a tank I can stare at and be at peace. I know it will come together eventually. But hey, I'm gonna be 50 and I really would rather enjoy it before I croke. So for now I just get to stare at my nice dark drab tank.

LOL, Scottayy---I still have no sump, no refuge, no skimmer. nada.

More test results

Everything same as before except....When I tested nitrates I followed the exact same instructions but this time I used bottle 2 first and bottle 1 last. Guess what.....same results...bout 80 ppm

ph 8.2
amm <.25 but no 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 80ppm
salinty 1.026
temp 81.5

Back
Top Bottom