Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a plastic credit card, or hotel check in card to scrap algae. It works and costs nothing. Will not scratch the tank as the card is softer than the acrylic or glass.

Cheapest use of a credit card I have seen so far on this site. LOL

I sold my 55g rehab tank today and the biocube skimmer! woot! I have more moeny to spend on tuesday.

And yeah, i can definitely come up with a better use for a credit card....LEDs, tank stand and sooo many other ideas its sickening. :)

My peppermints went missing for over a month. Lately they have all been out together. Pretty sure there is only one I lost but he may be in there somewhere. Look for the molts. That is all I saw for over a month

So, Buffy, how do you feel about your first saltwater build?
If it's the same as me, frustrating yet rewarding.

If I spend anymore on my credit card it will only be good for scraping. I agree with Carey, I definitely can find more aquarium stuff to buy:brows:.

I've had the lights off for 2 days now. Seems the flying strings have diminished somewhat. Since the lights have been off my elegance doesn't open much (understandable), however I look in the tank with my flashlight & on his underside is a "growth", at first I thought it was aiptasia but am not sure. It is coming out from his underside "shell" & not growing where the other tentacles are. It comes out in a stem like fashion then at the end of the stem it has tentacles that form a pretty dang good circle. I don't know how many tentacles but to guess would be 10-15. They are not really long about 1/2 inch and the color hmmm, not quite creme, not quite green, kinda in between.

I will try to take a pic tomorrow.

So at Walmart today, I grabbed an algae cleaner, yep, stupid me, looks like I need to find another use for it, like say stirring the fire in my next pitfire.

Off topic: Got dr appt tomorrow, it's bout 15 miles or so, I have my granddaughter (3 1/2 yrs old) again tonite & is going w/me (her brother is at home, having surgery in the am), am thinking to try to stay off roads, it's gonna take me bout 2-2/12 hours on bike hauling her in trailer. So gonna leave at 8am-ish stop for breakfast. Have to be there by 11. Her mom thinks I'm nuts, but I haven't been on my bike since Sun when I went 38.51 miles round trip with some friends & got rained on pretty much the whole time, (I froze too).

Tomorrow nite I have to myself again sooooo gonna try to unhook the canister and see what it looks like inside-tried the other day & did it wrong and got water all over LOL.

Oh & last night while doing my spying inside my tank, I FOUND A CRITTER CRAWLING. Am thinking Copepod or something, it was like the last one. So woohoot there's still life under my water.:fish2:.

Also, I still have everything I bought up north. Don't know how they are still alive with that pH being 8.7/8.8 this whole time, as I've not been able to lower it (haven't really tried cause I don't know what to do).

Time to go spy & get some sleep.

Poor sucker you sold that skimmer to. LOL.

Off topic I know, but he already has one and was buying it for his newest cube. lol Maybe he knows a trick to make them work. I paid $20 for it and got $20 so I'm even and I had the chance to see they stink. So I came out in the end.

lOL

Buffy, I don't know how you get ANyTHING done, you are always so busy. My life is just full of fish right now. hehehe...but it's something I guess.
My shrink thinks its good for me but keeps telling me to meet people so I may attend a regional frag meet in october. I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time.
:)

My off topic yesterday has been cancelled. Too tired and cold to ride this early. Dang where has the summer gone.

So just saved myself a few hours to shop BRS :)

I have shopped myself out over there. My wishlist is pretty full now it all depends on price. Just got the list sent over and am hoping to hear back with confirmation that all is well.

A few hours to yourself is a good thing, you have been SOO busy lately I'm sure you can use the break. :)

I was looking for more electronic testers, BRS only has a few Hannah ones. I still need to get a phosphate and a magnesium test. Gosh if I have to do the color thing I hope it's easier see that comparing colors that may only be 1 hue off or something lol.

Gotta mow, weed, then try to get my dog in the bike kid carrier and take him for a bike ride................The my fellow aquarist time to shop til I drop.

Am wondering if I should add to my cleanup crew? And I need to post a pic later with that thing growing on my elegance coral, but if I turn on the lights he will open up and it will be covered...Dilemma---how to get a pic in the dark?

Decided I am going to be in the market for some lamps. I am building a DIY 6 Lamp T5HO fixtures. Robbing parts from a fixture we couldn't use on a job site. The ballast I have to work with are one 2 lamp and 1 4 lamp. What would be the best way to configure my lamps since I can only switch 2 and 4 lamps?

I have not got a clue, I'd be at a loss, I'm using it the way mine was sent to me. I have 2 switches, 1 for 2 bulbs and 1 for 4 bulbs. I have the bulbs just as every other one.

I also have mine very other one. The blues are on the one switch and then an hour later the last 4 go on with my timer.

Even though posts were deleted I read them... there should be nothing wrong with off topic posts that pertain between forum members .. my three cents..

If they were my posts.....Then there's a time frame to where you can go back and edit. In edit you just deleted what you don't want in there. But after a time frame (I don't know what it is) then the edit option goes away and you can't go back to change that post.

@Carey---I didn't think about doing it that way- 2 of the blues on one switch, I just followed the directions LOL.

Got a few pics, gonna post them in a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom