Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are right. I was responding to a more general question of high calcium levels needed for heavily populated SPS systems. You are fine for quite a while, but if I remember right, your Kh was a bit low and that will cause Ph problems. A bit of buffer might be needed if things don't stabilize. But water changes are all the additives you need at this point for sure.

So a quick update....

Bought parts to make a Pulley Hanger for my lights.

But first, trying to finish installing 2 new faucet sets complete from wall out. (Temporarily losing the battle).

Got my light timer working now woohoo!!!

Still gotta figure out the pH problem with my water.

Greg....The readings I gave were low yes. The readings were taken from the freshly mixed ro/di saltwater. Then again from the tank after a few hours with the new water in the tank. My readings are coming from the salt mix before it even enters the tank. I thought this salt was supposed to be "balanced"?

Cause Carey uses the same salt and she doesn't have any problems with pH with the fresh mix. Her's is right on the money. Am wondering if maybe I have a bad batch of that too.

I know I'm doing the Salifert testing right. I can't mess up the Hanna Meter, unless I'm "holding it the wrong hand or something" lol.

So til I can figure out the water issues, I'm hestitant to buy anything, corals, fish or even equipment.

As I sound like a broken record, I should not be having to dose anything right now, not pH, not calicium, nothing. I don't have anything in my tank to affect that stuff. I am about ready to quit for a bit and take another "breathe, calm and regroup" break from the tank and not even think about it for awhile. All I'm doing is going around in circles. And while I'm going around in circles, all I can do is watch and hope my 3 corals, 2 crabs, 2 shrimp and snails survive this water mess.

Sorry, just feeling lost.........And I go back to work and won't have time to research or read and 2 weeks of vacation gone again.

don't let this all set you back. :-D

If needed PM a senior member and ask what they think. I personally have no clue. When are you taking these ph samples, what time of day? I hear too early in the morning and they will read low.

I would need to research it on the Internet, but freshly made saltwater should be pretty balanced, but still usually low on the calcium and Kh side. It is pretty common, in older tanks, to get a tend towards low Ph and low Kh. Usually a buffer will correct this but needs to be added slowly while testing. Many common ones available. It sounds like you have taken great pains to get the proper test results. The water parameters you are reporting should even now be fine for most everything except stoney corals and those parameters you can work towards. As others have said, it is a balance act with Ca and alkalinity.

There are two sides to this reef keeping addiction, those that succeed by going very, very simple and minimalist...and those that throw some serious technology at the project. Both have excellent examples of how and why their approach is superior. One is expensive, one isn't. I think the others on this forum, especially the inexhaustible Carey, have set you up to succeed by helping you not hit all the bumps they hit.

Yea I must have spent hundreds of dollars on medication that say they eliminate or reduce ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite down, and buffers that haven't helped much. All it did was confuse me every time I tested my water parameters because it was constantly fluctuating and because of that I lost more then 300 on fish on my first month. I was mis informed on soo many expensive fish and tangs as well as lighting for corals and it took my tank 3 months to cycle properly. I wish I found this forum when I first started.

This makes me sad Buffy, I can honestly say that I take your persistance and admiration as personal inspiration. I understand you're having some water stability issues but just take a deep breath and wait it out. Everyones tanks take different times to truly settle in and stabilize (I know you've been at this for awhile). I did see you said you are using I/O reef crystals, same as carey, but the problem could possibly lie in your water.I don't know what your underlying problem is but I do know once you get these issues smoothed out, you're gonna have one heck of a stable foundation for a amazing tank

And then you would dose what you need to get to the ppm you want?
i generally don't dose for anything unless i have a tank packed with stony corals.

you should not need to add ANYTHING until you have a tank loaded with corals.
i have kept multiple systems with just water changes for a few years now. good growth and stable parameters also.
just when ui bought out someone's tank and they have a couple giant clams (one was over a foot long) did i have to start dosing a 2(3) part supplement.

i also disagree that you can't keep a heavily stocked tank with a 2 part additive, in conjunction with weekly water changes.
i've done it.

put that can of reef crystals aside and try a different salt mix for a while, and enjoy your tank.

mr_X said:
i generally don't dose for anything unless i have a tank packed with stony corals.

i have kept multiple systems with just water changes for a few years now. good growth and stable parameters also.
just when ui bought out someone's tank and they have a couple giant clams (one was over a foot long) did i have to start dosing a 2(3) part supplement.

i also disagree that you can't keep a heavily stocked tank with a 2 part additive, in conjunction with weekly water changes.
i've done it.

put that can of reef crystals aside and try a different salt mix for a while, and enjoy your tank.

My comment was based on many references that 2 part cal/alk are great for maintaining a SPS system, but not for establishing the higher values initially on their own. My reading and experience shows me that is indeed what is happening, I could not get calcium values up from 300 to 450 with just 2 part. I don't like to disagree with MrX, but in the end, the advice is the same, don't do anything but maybe experiment with a different salt mix and forget additives for now. I agree that all you need are water changes for a standard reef tank.

I agree with not needing to dose and I'm not going to. By setting it aside and taking a break........... I didn't mean give up give up. I meant stepping back and just letting nature take it's course, watch my tank. Do my basics while gathering my other supplies and equipment.

I think I should also try a different salt. Maybe the salt I'm using should be used when my tank is more established and has more corals? But I have some corals so I thought I needed a "coral" salt?

Any recommendations for salt I should try? I'm not going to do weekly water changes anymore, I'm going to do larger bi-weekly. With the research I've done, I'm understanding a larger less frequent ones would be of more benefit. Unless someone has experiences to counteract that. If you do please let me know those experiences so I can make a better decision there too.

I don't mind my calcium and my alkalinity being a little low right now. I think everyone has taken off with that and forgot about the one that REALLY concerns me...................The pH is 8.7/8.8. That is a bigger concern to me than calcium/alkalinity right now.

@Carey - I understand pH's vary throughout the day and can be different at night and at morning. I mostly test at night and............I have been testing at different times THROUGHOUT the day so I can see the changes. HOWEVER, it doesn't matter what time of day or night I test, my pH is still 8.7 and 8.8 and DOES NOT fluctuate. Good that it doesn't fluctuate but bad that it is so high.

I also understand calcium and alkalinity and well all of them go together and raising one affects another (somewhere lol), BUT I've not ADJUSTED for anything, so I'm trying to figure out why my pH is high from the start.

I've tested straight tap. I've tested straight RO/DI. I've tested RO/DI with salt not in the tank. And I've tested my tank. There's 4 variables there that point to the salt I believe. I think once I get the pH in line then the others will start to fall inline also.

Oh and did I mention I got the fixings to make my light pulley system? Who wants to stand on a ladder and reach the ceiling for me? LOL

i've done it.

Any suggestions on Brand/kind for me to use? What kind do you use? I'll copy you lol.

Woohoo!

Ok, so I have no water, I cut off the main to the house so I could get these last two sinks done. I'm stuck at one for now (fittings giving me problems) and have 2 open pipes (whew no water - main valve must be holding). So you think I would finish that up right????? NOPE. Am gonna get out of my sweats cause I gotta watch the grandkids tonite for a little bit AND I gotta watch football. Yep football.....I HATE FOOTBALL LOL. But I gotta watch because......wait for it........wait for it............ here it comes......

My daughter tried out for the WOMEN'S PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM this past weekend and made the team. WOW WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So since she wasn't able to go to Olympics with Hockey (I couldn't afford it - she was so dangggggggg good). She didn't want to pass this up (she likes sports).

So now I gotta watch FOOTBALL YUK!!!!!!!!!!! And worry bout the beatings and stuff again. UG Thought I was past that.

Gosh, sorry. Hope I don't get in trouble for this post but I have been busting at the seams and fighting do I share or not. Sooooo share won. LOL

that sounds like great news! Until you gotta watch football. I;ve spent my share of time watching it and it's just not for me. hehehe....Too much going on LOL

That is really cool!!! But I can agree with not loving football. Too many really long timeouts. IMO soccer is so much more fun... I kind of need to switch salt too. I use Petco brand and I don't really trust them...

Yeah but since she's my daughter, I'll watch. Besides her little boy and girl wanna watch Mommy play soooo, I'll watch them watch her hehehe.

Have you thought bout which salt you're going to try Greenturtle?

I don't use expensive salt, but do dose for my SPS. I have used everything, but have settled on reef crystals as it is available from BRS in 50 gallon bags. It is higher in calcium and seems to dissolve pretty well.

Thanks for the input ya'll. Brr sitting outside watching people ram into each other.

Am now in comfy house trying to finish up the two sinks, then start in on making my hanger for my lights.

Maybe if I'm not too tired, I'll do a few tests tonite. Gotta stay up to get ready for nite shift anyway.

I should change my light timer. It goes out just too early, especially since I stay up till at 11 even when I work dayshift and get up at 2am.

Do I need to have the lights on during the "daytime"? I can run them when I want can't I or will the light during the day and then my light during the later day and evening be too much?

Right the 2 blue are on an hour before and an hour after the other 4 (3 white, 1 blue). The whites are on 9 hours I think. So the blues are on for 11. Is that too much or too little?

Back
Top Bottom