Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More pics

If you remember, I posted pictures of my new stand. I had a few minor adjustments I wanted done and now I have my stand back. As you can see from the pictures, the front of the stand doesn't have a center vertical support. Well without the support there, then light would be shining through the gap in the doors, I didn't want that. Sooooooooo wahlaaaaah a removeable brace. (Top of brace has a magnetic and 2 pegs in bottom):dance::dance:

Corals are doing good. Couple of polyps are still closed but I expect that. As you can see, I got tired of the gloves and I was water logged after prepping them for the qt.

Is super glue even safe for the livestock, I mean we have to watch what silicone we use, I would think we would have to watch that too. I have some AquaStik epoxy putty but it calls for pressing coral's into rock for indentation and removing then reattaching again, and then using some glue, well gee wiz, I have small hands and I could barely hold onto these little guys, how the heck am I supposed to "press" them in and remove them again without damage? I mean the bottoms basically are just big enough to rest on my finger. I had to slide these into my hand in all the steps cause I had no place to "hold" onto, and I still dropped a couple:banghead::hide:. Bad enough I felt bad because I no choice but to touch their flesh in order to pick them up. :-(

Some superglue is some isnt, i cant remember the name of the chemical you want in it, but when i get home ill look it up. Its the bottle og blue loctite superglue... I think it maybe the gel

Stand looks awesome! I like that you can remove the front brace if you want, will make getting in and out of that area so much easier. :)

Some of those corals look pretty big to me, good luck with them. Get some pictures once they open up.

Rics are all open, zoas all closed. They look big hahahaha, I guess that's what I get for buying the ones that are already 3-4" LOL.

Jelled....thanks

Help please.

I was just looking at them with a flashlight because one of them appears to be too "swollen" instead of just "closed". There is one polyp that is not closed and when I look at it with my magnifying glass, it looks like it is looking back at me (honest to god it looks like an eye) and there are two striped, black and white "feelers" coming out of it right next to the eye. I am wondering if this is why this zoa looks "swollen", and the others are starting to "swell" also, instead of just close up. I'm kinda nervous because this is the behavior that I experienced with my orange button polyp before it just shrunk and before I knew it, it was gone. All the rics look like they are doing fantastic. Any ideas what this thing could be and if these guys are gonna be ok? Sorry so long, but I don't want to lose them too.

I tried to draw an arrow and wrote "here". It's on the right side of the first pic. The other 3 are of the other 3 zoas.

Thanks all.

Buffy said:
I was just looking at them with a flashlight because one of them appears to be too "swollen" instead of just "closed". There is one polyp that is not closed and when I look at it with my magnifying glass, it looks like it is looking back at me (honest to god it looks like an eye) and there are two striped, black and white "feelers" coming out of it right next to the eye. I am wondering if this is why this zoa looks "swollen", and the others are starting to "swell" also, instead of just close up. I'm kinda nervous because this is the behavior that I experienced with my orange button polyp before it just shrunk and before I knew it, it was gone. All the rics look like they are doing fantastic. Any ideas what this thing could be and if these guys are gonna be ok? Sorry so long, but I don't want to lose them too.

I tried to draw an arrow and wrote "here". It's on the right side of the first pic. The other 3 are of the other 3 zoas.

Thanks all.

What is your flow like? Is there nice flow over the polyps? They should open in a few days, if not, try moving them around.

They are in a 10 gal quarantine tank, I originally had an aqua clear 50 in,but it was too strong and blew them all into a corner, so I replaced that with a Penguin bio-wheel 100, it has carbon and filter floss in it.

I sent email to seller, has responded with a matter of minutes. He says, its a type of tube worm. I sent him the same pictures I have here. I'm just waiting for one more answer from him, but then I've only sent him the question with the rest of the pics only about 15 min ago. Definitely awesome customer service.

If my zoas do as well as his customer service, then they should be looking like the pics real soon.

Their colors will change a bit, most of the time its only a subtle change, but oranges can become red or blues purple. Sometimes youll get a big change as the zooxanthellae is completely replaced by another.

Thanks, Til I can get them moved, I remembered I had the light fixture that came with the 75 gal. LOL 1 bulb, but it's 8000K. So I have a 4 foot light sitting on top the 10 gallon tank for now.

Does anyone know what seals up cuts on skin? I sliced my finger open the other day and I need to get my 75 moved into my 55. I don't want to get it infected so I need something water proof, preferably that doesn't sting lol, cause it's still fresh and stinging as it is.

Buffy said:
Thanks, Til I can get them moved, I remembered I had the light fixture that came with the 75 gal. LOL 1 bulb, but it's 8000K. So I have a 4 foot light sitting on top the 10 gallon tank for now.

Does anyone know what seals up cuts on skin? I sliced my finger open the other day and I need to get my 75 moved into my 55. I don't want to get it infected so I need something water proof, preferably that doesn't sting lol, cause it's still fresh and stinging as it is.

Vaseline will help it heal faster and Neosporin will prevent it from getting infection.

As the night slowly sneaks by and I still haven't received that energy care package from Carey, I was looking in my tank (as usual) and I do believe I have some red bubble algae. There are 3 red bubbles on 1 little rock. I moved the little rock to the front of the tank with my faithful sea squirt but am still to chicken to put my hands in and get the rock to pluck them off.

Back
Top Bottom