Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kurtyboh said:
Not just slanted twisted theres no way to lift the tank with equal pressure across all four corners, thats twisting, which is where the problem lies. Many times the tank wont fail immediately but a few months down the road... Do a search and nobody will agree to move a tank that large with stuff in it.

It's even better in that case since the weight would be distributed even more and won't just be on one panel. Sure it won't be even but it isn't something the tank can't hold. I'm 100% sure the tank won't leak if only the sand is in it. When I first got my 55g FW tank 4 years ago it still had the gravel and large decorations in it and it was in my trunk for a 1 hour drive. I still have that tank running up until today as a FOWLR.

So I am debating on how much rinsing I should do to my sand that is already in the tank. I'm using most of the water but I'm going to do a pwc at the same time. I'll have everything in the 55 tonite yet, I had a few things come up so had to stop.

Resealed my finger with super glue cause crazy glue wanted to peel. I hope it will be safe in the water. Crazy glue didn't sting, but the super glue did.
I'm cleaning off some of the rock too, well just brushing the loose stuff, dusty stuff. I also need to clean my evolution 750's. The last time I did it, I didn't realize I must have put it back together wrong because it's not pushing, its pulling water. I am also doing the maint on my fluval 405.

Does anyone think I may end up with a mini cycle or something from doing all of this and if so, how can I minimize it. Thanks ya'll. :)

All the rock except for bout 6 pieces are moved over. 2 fish are moved. Purple FireFish and Peppermint Shrimp still need to be moved along with the rest of the snails/hermits.

I have about 5 inches of water left in dt with the sand. I stirred up quite a bit while moving and now I can't see my Firefish and Shrimp so I still have a heater and my two evolution 750's in the dt.

In the 55 is a heater and 2 aquaclear 50 power heads. Lights are out and I need a nap. Gonna try to nap bout 3 hours and hopefully the dt water will be cleared enough that I can get my Shrimp and Firefish moved. The snails/hermits seem to get moved with the rock LOL. I only had the rock out of the water long enough to lift move 4 feet and put in the water again. So far I'm still using the dt water. When I move it back, then I will be doing my pwc at the end.

I hope everyone will be okay til I get the move done.

Yep, thanks, it's clear. I can see the peppermint shrimp but not the fire fish. Do the Firefish actually burrow under the sand? I'm gonna take out the last few rocks after I catch the shrimp but leave the pumps on til I get the rest of the inverts and him.

Everyone looks ok so far in the 55. Elegance and Coco are open. Favia well is Favia. The 2 fishies are still moving and one of them has inched his way away from his hiding spot but it's still close enough for him to get quickly.

How long can snails live out of water? One is almost to the top of my 75 gal but there's no water up there.

He'll prob head towards the water when he wants/needs more. But most can be out for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the shrimp moved, man that is one fast bugger, they jump too LOL. Firefish no where to be seen, only a few small rocks left, water is murky again so couldn't see him if I tried.

I have a red mushroom that grew out out of one of the rocks also, he's been in the back of the tank awhile now, was moving himself down the back. Soon as it clears up some again, I'm gonna scoop him out.

What I did with everyone...

Elegance---got a bowl deep enough for him to expand in, put the bowl under the water and scooted him in, put sand in, moved bowl. Should've put sand in first lol.

Favia - got another bowl, submersed the bowel to him and set him in the bowl while under water, then moved the bowl, a hermit came for the ride :)

Coco - got bigger bowl and put him in and moved bowl, in 55 I put him in the rocks so he wouldn't fall. I think I hit air with him a little though, hope it doesn't hurt him.

Fish - Glass bowl submersed, netted-guided to bowl, lifted bowl out, covered with hand, moved bowl and submersed, tilting bowl so he could swim out. Did this for both fish, now if I can find my Purple Firefish, that is what I will do with him.

Now the shrimp is a different story, I couldn't keep his little butt in the net so when I got him in the net, I swung the net out and over to the other tank. Hopefully I didn't shock the lil guy but dang I couldn't keep him in net long enough to get him into bowl. He got out of net and closest hiding spot was elegance, so he's hovering near it's shell.

Sorry so long, but what a dramatic night/morning catching these guys. Soon as it clears up again, I'm gonna start moving sand into a container and scarf up any inverts left behind. Hopefully I'll see my firefish. He was doing great before I started this, once I started I haven't seen him since. I hope I didn't drop a rock on his head because a few did slip out of my hands. I checked around each rock before I moved so I could see if there were any joy riders and get it into the other tank without any dropping off to the carpet. So far nothing hit the floor except some water.

I do have 1 suggestion----when moving power heads so you can put your rock down in the water......keep the dang thing UNDER the water. LOL, I accidently lifted it above water while putting a rock in it's place and yeah well, my cable box, tv stand got a salt water bath as well as myself.

Whew, this is a long one. But hey, I wanted to share my "process" and had to tell someone so who better than my AA buddies :), Though I still have a little yet to do, I gotta admit....as long as none of my livestock dies, I had a blast. LOL Even got sidetracked a few times with my magnifying glass looking into the nooks and crannies of the areas of rock that I could see before. Got alot and I mean ALOT of fan worms, some of them scare me though, they are so small that I can't get a pic but I don't want it to be aiptasia. I have one rock that I'm taking out last that has 3 red bubles on it that look exactly like the red bubble algae, so I'll put it in a bowl and tweezer it off. I thought I saw one or two green ones too but can't find them now.

Oh and I can now get to the emerald crab that hasn't moved in a week and give him a burial at sea, and the fire shrimp I know I won't find because he was behind another rock that I couldn't get to and I watched him disappear over a few days. He was already dead back there, just couldn't get him out. Nature took it's course with him.

Ok ya'll I'm done. Go take 2 aspirin and I'll be back after I move the rest. LOL

MIA???

:bawl::bawl::bawl:Ugg, I still can't find my Purple Firefish and I don't want to empty any further til I find him. I love my little Purple!!!:love:

Oh, bummer, I hope he shows up. Mine hides in the tiniest holes in the rock, I mean really tiny. I've seen mine come out of spots I didn't know a fish could fit in lol

MIA is now IA

WOOT WOOT, Yep he was in the 55. He must have hitched a ride on a rock lol, thank goodness he didn't fall off when the rock was between the tanks.

I searched that 55 gal 6 or 7 times too. LOL, this last time I looked and he came out to do our staring contest. I swear I didn't think I'd be that attached but my heart did a flip flop when I saw him and I almost had a tear but instead I said "Hot ****, there's my baby" and 2 dogs just looked at me, so silly as it sounds, I'm thinking they thought I looked silly too. LMAO

I also searched out and found my Peppermint Shrimp. I moved him but well that move wasn't so uhmmmm gentle, cause he was hopping around so he kinda went splash before the net hit the water.

So the move was successful so far. I will be posting pics in a little while. I kinda like the tank on the floor, didn't realize I was laying on the floor on my belly, flashlight, camera and magnifying glass in hand for almost 2 HOURS. LOL

Buffy said:
WOOT WOOT, Yep he was in the 55. He must have hitched a ride on a rock lol, thank goodness he didn't fall off when the rock was between the tanks.

I searched that 55 gal 6 or 7 times too. LOL, this last time I looked and he came out to do our staring contest. I swear I didn't think I'd be that attached but my heart did a flip flop when I saw him and I almost had a tear but instead I said "Hot ****, there's my baby" and 2 dogs just looked at me, so silly as it sounds, I'm thinking they thought I looked silly too. LMAO

I also searched out and found my Peppermint Shrimp. I moved him but well that move wasn't so uhmmmm gentle, cause he was hopping around so he kinda went splash before the net hit the water.

So the move was successful so far. I will be posting pics in a little while. I kinda like the tank on the floor, didn't realize I was laying on the floor on my belly, flashlight, camera and magnifying glass in hand for almost 2 HOURS. LOL

That's great!

Pictures

Ok, here are some pictures of the 55 gallon. Everyone still seems good.

Full tank shot on floor in front of tv
img_1709269_0_a82a398840c1d7ac5d765b810f6b628d.jpg

Kaurdern's Cardinal
img_1709269_1_bb68f5c1dfd1230bd66f5be8d2188a46.jpg

Hard Coco Worm
img_1709269_2_16d848fc916a69fcb2a38e66688bc13f.jpg

Purple Firefish
img_1709269_3_26175f0925105312b7df4df84b829bc5.jpg

Spotted Cardinal
img_1709269_4_234d0704657c4d371f88e1eef1fc81c0.jpg

Brain Favites
img_1709269_5_dc4145bf9d6e38383895f149ef7674fc.jpg

Unknown--Fan Worm?
img_1709269_6_8e561e00dbc4cd1e261fe8dc5ffd6859.jpg

Upside-down Snail - Can these turn themselves back over?
img_1709269_7_1c8e0fe00123a14501f99ce3daaa5f43.jpg

Few ??'s

In the previous post, does the Favite Brain Coral look "bleached" to anyone, it's been the same since I got it, I thought the "red" would darken up some.

Anyone know what kind of fan worm that is, the red one?

Are snails able right themselves?

Forgot to post this pic.....What is coming out of the Elegance's mouth?

Lastly, I have to get a few things done, then I'll post pics of my Ricordia's and Polyps that are in qt. I'd like input on these. I may not get to post them for a few hours yet. Thanks everyone.

Most snails can right themselves. The only ones that I'm aware of that can't are Astraeas. (sp?)

By the way, can't wait for the poylps and rics. :)

Grrr

Grrr, ever since I started this hobby, it's been one frustration after another with plumbing. When I first filled the tank with tap water and the faucet quit, then the toilet. Now after 6 months I'm still trying to finish the toilet. A 4-5 hour job is taking me months, and now I have to go to the store AGAIN.

I need this bathroom for my fishkeeping hobby. Grrr.

Sorry off topic, I just need to vent so friggen bad. Frustrated so bad, I can't think straight (not that I could normally).

Off to home depot, menards or somewhere for MORE plumbing parts that I've already bought 3 or 4 times. Grrrr.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good luck Buffy! I know you'll get it done, well, eventually anyways. LOL

Yep, eventually. Just wondering if I'm gonna lose my sanity first.

Tonite the 75 gallon is sitting on the floor near the bathroom that needs to quit giving me a hard time so I can clean the 75. The old stand will be moved shortly, vacuumed and the new stand put in it's place.

Then back to the bathroom and hope I can finally get it done after another 1 1/2 hours at the hardware store. Then I can clean the 75 and put it back on stand and then center my light and drill.

After that I get to take the 75 gallon off, move the stand out of the way and work on hanging the lights, except there is 75 feet of insulation and very narrow beams to cross so I can put a brace in. Still haven't figured out how I'm gonna carry everything while I crab crawl across beams. Can't step between or I'll end up in my hall or living room.

When all that is done, I can put the stand back, put the tank back and commence putting it all back together and then add my corals from the qt tank.

Project to be done after all the above.....Build sump/fuge and/or algae scrubber. I love my tank but jeez why does it have to involve plumbing....I hate plumbing.:banghead:

Hi Ho Hi Ho, I just got tired thinking bout all that I gotta do LOL, Don't see dishes, laundry, or eating in that list do you? I don't...lmao

Back
Top Bottom