Bugs on top of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been gone for a week and got back last night. This morning I did a water change and noticed a lot of very tiny what I'm assuming are some kind of insect on the top of the water. They are very small. At first I thought it was dust or something then I noticed that the jump around on the water. What could they be? Too small for pics

If they look like little black dots that hop, they are most likely aquatic springtails. They float and mill about on the surface of water (particularly stagnant water) and consume plankton and algae. They in turn are eaten by fish.

Wy Renegade said:
If they look like little black dots that hop, they are most likely aquatic springtails. They float and mill about on the surface of water (particularly stagnant water) and consume plankton and algae. They in turn are eaten by fish.

They look more like a off-white color

Paxdaddy said:
So I've been gone for a week and got back last night. This morning I did a water change and noticed a lot of very tiny what I'm assuming are some kind of insect on the top of the water. They are very small. At first I thought it was dust or something then I noticed that the jump around on the water. What could they be? Too small for pics

Do you have sufficient filtration?? Like they said, stagnant water will cause that, kinda like what you see when a pool is closed n there's water on the top of the cover. If you have sufficient filtration, just get a top dweller, should take care of all them. In my case, my arowana would probably eat them all! :) lol

DanS180 said:
Do you have sufficient filtration?? Like they said, stagnant water will cause that, kinda like what you see when a pool is closed n there's water on the top of the cover. If you have sufficient filtration, just get a top dweller, should take care of all them. In my case, my arowana would probably eat them all! :) lol

Yeah ive been reading a lot about them and that's what it sounds like they are. But it confuses me because I have so much surface agitation. Far from stagnant!

Paxdaddy said:
Yeah ive been reading a lot about them and that's what it sounds like they are. But it confuses me because I have so much surface agitation. Far from stagnant!

Hmm then that's odd haha good luck with fixing it tho!!

Why worry about fixing it? Its not like they bother anything in or out of the tank, and they are free food for the fish.

Wy Renegade said:
Why worry about fixing it? Its not like they bother anything in or out of the tank, and they are free food for the fish.

Yeah I wasnt too worried about it. The fish seem to enjoy them. I was just curious to what they were and where they came from.

Back
Top Bottom