building a 55 gal. reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok need some advice on start up . When I start up the tank and fuge should I have micro alg. In the fuge or not . Help me out

Thank you for the info . I was not to sure :blink::thanks: I have not had a saltwater tank in over 12 yr. Alot has changed from my last tank and it was a fish only .

Need some help I can get this light real cheep it a Odessa light . What is Your opinion of the light. Is it to strong for a 55 gal reef tank

image-3035414842.jpg

I can get it for $100.00 it has 4 T5 blue

I would not use that light for 2 reasons. One is what Carey said- you'll only have stronger light in the center of the tank, the outer edges will be dark, and two, it's probably not powerful enough anyway.

Corner tanks are curved usually so they have less open area on top, that might be why he used it. Also, as X stated, it might not cut it, do you know if it is a 150 watt halide or a 250 watt one?

I do believe it is 250 . I will see for sure tomorrow he going bring it to work so can look at it

It's not going to work over a 48" x 12" tank. It's going to put a lot of heat in the tank as well. Take it home and put it over your tank and you'll see.

Not to mention you have about $140.00 in lamps you'll have to replace every 8-12 months.

He was going let me bring it home and try it on the take and see how it fits and light it up

Not sure what your light budget is but you can get led panels for about $140 each off ebay and they would let you keep just about any coral or anemone you could want. Also, no bulb replacement needed for like 5 years. The lights would pay for themselves in about a year or so as they use ALOT less electricity and the bulb thing. Not to mention the heat the halides will put off as Mr X mentioned above. Last thing you want is a hot tank and then you'd need fans or a chiller and thats big $$

Not much of a $$ . Doing a lot of DIY for the set up I posted a few photo's but have changed some thing around . I did put some fans on the fuge to help with heat . I Steel not to sure on lights yet . Just thought that was a good deal for the light

All my live rock will run down the center of the tank so you could look at the tank on 3 sides

One halide in the middle of a 55 will not be enough also since its in the middle it will have a realy bad shadow effect when the light hits the center brace in the tank...I use a coralife aqualight pro with dual halides... Like what has been said you will need fans or a chiller .. My honest opinion those leds on eBay are cheap and people are having stunning results .Save your self heating and bulb replacement issues go with leds...

Thanks for the info . Have you seen the D sun Y programmable led 48" that does the 4 seasoned & lunar mood . I kind of like the idea of set it and let it do its thing

Back
Top Bottom