Building my first ever tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've wanted a fish tank for a long time but couldn't really ever afford anything large enough with my budget (£100/$155) but after many weeks of trawling eBay and local papers I managed to pick up a Juwel tank + stand including filter for £45.01 ;) ($70) Here's the tank as it looked when I got it.
image-1325006426.jpg
So I got it home and scrubbed unlike crazy, removed all the double sided tape (I think it was used to hold a previous background?) Went to the lfs and brought 2 pieces of drift wood, a single bag of gravel, a new filer cartridge and some API quick start. The wood and API was on offer so it all came to £16 ($25) my friend has given me some 6 in 1 test strips to get me started. I then purchased a heater for £18 later and went home very excited!!
So here's my tank after I had cleaned it and added the gravel.

image-35482749.jpg

I spent a long time looking at the woods trying to find some of a reasonable height and ones that would stand freely and looked IMO interesting. I then left the wood to soak in a small bowl.

image-3284366226.jpg

The water went a horrid dark brown/yellow colour which I decided was a good thing but in the bowel the wood looked almost black! Anyway I've just this morning added the wood to my tank and its changed colour completely and I'm really pleased with the first piece, the second piece isn't as impressive but still looks good :)

image-3752317903.jpg

image-1276756029.jpg

image-691629870.jpg

So now I'm researching plants (I have another thread open and you guys are giving me some great advice) do you guys think that is enough drift wood for a tank of this size? Later today I'm going to buy a second bag of gravel because I feel my layer is a little thin.

So far I've spent £79 ($122) so have £21 left to spend on plants and a second bag of gravel.

Sorry this post is so long I'm just over excited about all this ill keep updating this thread with my progress as I go :)

That's a bargain! I paid £600 on my jewel with stand, I really like your driftwood especially the piece on the right. I'm following your thread can't wait to see what it looks like all finished :)

Looking good... I wish I could get drift wood :( I too have a juwel tank 200 litres , it was a freebie and needed much cleaning, and a new lid making, but the free ones are always the best, my 80 litre was a freebie too, in need of some tlc and now that's my fry tank .. Looking forward to more pics and updates :)

The DW looks in proportion with the tank. Perhaps a few stones to compliment them would be nice. Following this build!

Looking good... I wish I could get drift wood :( I too have a juwel tank 200 litres , it was a freebie and needed much cleaning, and a new lid making, but the free ones are always the best, my 80 litre was a freebie too, in need of some tlc and now that's my fry tank .. Looking forward to more pics and updates :)

You've got the same tank as me! I think jewel tank's are really good.

Same over here €1000 for the one I want, that's why we're building our own ..

The one i looked at is £995, my upgrade will have to wait at the moment Lol i don't really need it just wanted a bigger one! I could never build my own it would end up falling apart.

The one i looked at is £995, my upgrade will have to wait at the moment Lol i don't really need it just wanted a bigger one! I could never build my own it would end up falling apart.

It's all planned out, just need the time to do it now !

The DW looks in proportion with the tank. Perhaps a few stones to compliment them would be nice. Following this build!

What colour and size/type of stone would you suggest?
Thanks for all the support :) This is going to be interesting and I'm loving all the ideas and advice I'm getting also I've been researching around and as far as I can tell the dimensions and stand fit those of a Juwel Rekord 600 :) can't wait to get this thing fully planted and stocked :)

What colour and size/type of stone would you suggest?
Thanks for all the support :) This is going to be interesting and I'm loving all the ideas and advice I'm getting also I've been researching around and as far as I can tell the dimensions and stand fit those of a Juwel Rekord 600 :) can't wait to get this thing fully planted and stocked :)

I can't recommend any specific stones since I don't actually have any currently in my tanks. I do know that the ones in this tank (Salukie's) look nice with the DW:

lXOVwMP.jpg

If you do collect them "in the wild" there is some prep work needed to ensure that they safe for your tank and it inhabitants.

Ok so my tank is finally cycled, I added one Anubias plant last week and I'm fetching my first few fish tomorrow. Can't wait :) I have 2 Marimo moss balls on there way to me and 4 Java ferns. So I will get those prepd and planted as soon as they arrive. I'm also going to look at the lfs tomorrow for some stones :)

Just got 10 RCS only small maybe 7-10mm at best. They were new in at the lfs so I got first pick :d I will put some photos once I've got them settled.

Attachments

• image-3817586352.jpg
    image-3817586352.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 100
RCS are fun little dudes!! And they are great at cleaning your tank. I'm in the same boat as you I'm setting up my 120litre juwel tank. Just waiting for it to cycle.

RCS are fun little dudes!! And they are great at cleaning your tank. I'm in the same boat as you I'm setting up my 120litre juwel tank. Just waiting for it to cycle.

Yeah I'm just floating them as we speak just added the picture but the seem 2x the size on the photo haha

Meet the Coral Choir :)

image-3793399823.jpg
image-1805735531.jpg
image-2150929435.jpg

There loving exploring their new home. I paid for 10 but there's 11! They are currently the only things in a 15gal so there's plenty of safe exploring to be done!

Back
Top Bottom