Bulb anemone problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bulb Anemone Shrinking

Hey guys need help again. I fed my bulb anemone yesterday and he ate pretty well but since then he has been shrinking and expanding in size. He did not expel the food it ate. Even the arms of the anemone seem so shrivel up when it shrinks and puffs up again once it expands. Been happening all day now... Is this normal? Does this always happen after feeding?

Hey guys need help again. I fed my bulb anemone yesterday and he ate pretty well but since then he has been shrinking and expanding in size. He did not expel the food it ate. Even the arms of the anemone seem so shrivel up when it shrinks and puffs up again once it expands. Been happening all day now... Is this normal? Does this always happen after feeding?

It does not need to be fed.

Anemones in Captive Systems by Bob Fenner
"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone."

Ok I am going to take your advise and not feed them... I have a carpet anemone and a bulb anemone... So it will be only the granulate that I put in the tank for the fish from now on?

Anemone feeding

Hey guys i have a bulb anemone and a carpet anemone in my 9 gal nano tank. A lot if people have told me I don't need to feed them how true is this?

When you say a carpet anemone do you mean a maxi mini anemone in a 9 gallon tank? Anemones need a lot of light to stay healthy and I feed occasionally if I see my anemones aren't catching a little food once in awhile. I have mini maxi, rock and a rbta.

why do you have 3 seperate threads about your nem.. quit filling page 1 up with the same thing over & over. 1 topic = 1 thread. you've gotten advice in another thread, allow others time to respond before you open an entire new thread asking to validate the response you got.

+1 to Nyte and I used to feed my nem's directly till I caught my bubble tip move to were I poured in the food I feed the tank. Now I realize he's been surviving on left overs and light. The condy I have does the same thing. Piece of mysis or brine floats by its dinner! I no longer have to worry about any extra care.

I don't feed past what they pick up daily in the stream from feeding my fish.

I feed frozen, brine/mysis/cyclops on a daily basis (alternating) and toss in NLS pellets just for treats/if my clowns nip at my fingers.

You don't need to feed it. I never feed mine. Ever. 4 years, never fed and grows just fine.

Bottom line is it's up to you. You don't HAVE to but you can it can't hurt. UNLESS you overfeed it or give it pieces that are too big. If you feed, the pieces really really have to be tiny. :)

Craigj247 said:
Ok this is not helping me... So what do I do... Feed or not?

To sum up the entire thread......... u dont need to feed it directly! It will catch food that flows around in the water from your feeding, all on its own.

Back
Top Bottom