Bulb question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eleven13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I have a 3 gallon Marineland Eclipse tank which houses my betta, and I have a few plants in there (a crypt wendtii, anubias nana, and a stem of anacharis that I'm testing to see if it grows).

I bought the infamous "betta bulbs" a few weeks ago and they've been sitting in the tank doing nothing, so today I impatiently went out to Petsmart for some supplies and grabbed a packet of their bulbs.

Naturally, when I came home I found that the betta bulbs I bought a while ago have sprouted, so would it be okay if I also threw in the new bulbs, or would over crowd anything?

The new bulbs came in a pack of about 8, but I'm going to toss out the onion bulbs (because they aren't really aquatic, right?) and just put in the aponogeton and water lily ones. Would any problems come with this?

Oh and as a side question, one of the bulbs seems to have white fungus growing on it, but it also seems to have sprouted.....is it okay to leave in the tank or should I ditch it?

Thanks!

I'm not sure of the onion plant being non aquatic. You could plant all the bulbs you'd like, but I do think it'll get a little over crowded. Those aponegetons get long leaves and will continue to grow. If the aponegeton with the white fungus has sprouted, it should be fine, try to take off some with your fingers. Good luck.

I have the exact same bulbs your talking about, I just got it and the bulbs have the white film too i hear that is is just bacteria forming and fish snails and the sort will eat them away.

I had those bulbs in my tank many years ago went I first started a planted tank. Just a word of caution, those plants get very big. Too big for a 3 gal tank. Here is the water lily in a 75 gallon tank:

9826-albums7389-picture35722.jpg

Wow that water lily is beautiful!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up only throwing in the apongeton bulbs and tossing the water lily and the onion ones. Maybe when I get a bigger tank going I will plant some water lily though =)

I'll definitely keep an eye on the overcrowding situation, and worse comes to worse I'll move a plant or two to my 10 gallon tank!

I had some water lily bulbs that I put in my tank. Said on the package they started to grow in just a few days... a month later still ugly little bulbs that have not changed. Threw most of them out with my last water change!

I had some water lily bulbs that I put in my tank. Said on the package they started to grow in just a few days... a month later still ugly little bulbs that have not changed. Threw most of them out with my last water change!

I hear you on that one, I literally went through about 9 "betta bulbs" before I actually got these 3 to sprout :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom