bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaintedCarcus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just wanted to know what kind of light bulb is best for a planted tank.My tanks get about 8-10 hours of light a day and some natural light but not a whole lot because of alge of course.The tanks are 10 gallons and have cheap hood the kit came with.:rolleyes:

Lowlight plants can grow with the cheap bulbs and low wattage that come with many aquariums. I have several of them. A few popular choices in the lowlight category are Java Moss, Java Fern, many types of Crypts, arachnis and bacopa. There are many others, but these are hard to lose with. They will also grow fine (although slowly) without fertz or Co2 and in just about any substrate like the gravel LFS foist off on you when you get your first tank.

To grow medium light plants, you will need 2-3 watts of light per gallon of water and will need to use fertz eventually. They will definately benefit from CO2 and substrate for plants, such as Eco-complete.

High light plants can require up to 5 watts per gallon, regular fertz and definately co2 injection and possibly upgraded, specialty substrates.

This is basic, generic information. Hope it helps.

+1 mudraker, I am in the process of planting my 65 gal tank, I have just over 3 watts per gallon with Eco-complete and no ferts or co2 yet, and the plants are growing great, if you stick to something simple like lower light plants you should be good to go. And if you choose higher light plants, look into co2 and ferts, it is the wise thing to do, best of luck.

Assuming you have an incandescent canopy, you will want to use compact florescent in the 13 watt range. Philips makes some that are 6500K (Daylight) and 5000K (Bright White) that will both grow plants. They are available at home Depot and other places. they will allow low and medium light plants to grow well.

Back
Top Bottom