Bullhead Catfish: OKKKAyy.. where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexou812

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I was at my lfs the other day and in there huge "display" tank, they shoved a massive catfish in there and I couldn't not ask what it was, so they told me it was a bullhead. Not sure on the specific kind, but from what I gather there is a few different variations. Does anyone know much about these? Particularly as to what i can put with them?

If it's the kind I'm thinking of, they get GIGANTIC. They have ones at Tennessee Aquarium that were huge and ate all of the full grown paddlefish.

I think figuring out the species would be most beneficial and maybe checking out MonsterFishKeepers.com too. Pretty sure someone on there could easily ID a photo of one.

Bullheads, if they are the ones I am thinking of, are fairly small, North American catfishes. The largest ones rarely reach 5lbs, depending on species. If you have enough tank space, they could be housed with appropriate sub-tropical fishes that inhabit the same natural waters as the bullheads.

Ameiurus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FishLady, no idea what kind of catfish you are referencing but it sounds like a real monster :lol:

That looks about right! from what i can tell, and dont quote me on this, they get about 20 inches or so long. I just dont know what they could go with.. because catfish tend to see something and automatically try to fit it in their mouth hahaha. Maybe Oscars? Big Eels? Maybe even a large angelfish?

The bullhead group are a small native catfish group of North America. They rarely exeed two pounds in weight, and most don't get over 10 inches in length. The exception would be the Yellow Bullhead which can reach lengths of 18 inches. Warm water gamefish, these should not be kept with any tropical species of fish. Your best bet would to keep them with other natives such as sunfish (Green, Bluegill, Pumpkin Seed, Rock bass, Small or Large Mouth Bass). Sometimes you can keep them with native crayfish, although the crayfish tend to become lunch once the bullhead gets big enough. As you stated, any smaller slower swimmer is going to be on the menu, including other bullheads.

Back
Top Bottom