Bully Fish Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aclark

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fairly new 75 gallon tank up and running, and I've discovered I have a bully problem. The tank is moderately planted with some driftwood and pots as well. The first thing to go in was a group of 10 Red Eye Tetras. They were in the tank for about 2 weeks and doing fine, although very skiddish and would hide in the corners. I added 3 Opaline Gouramis (2F & 1M) and 10 Serpae Tetras next, all at the same time. The fish seemed to be doing well, and the Red Eyes seems even more social now. I had a Serpae die and I chalked it up to a weak or stressed fish. But then came a second, and a third, and then today I saw two very weak fish floating in the filter current and barely hanging on. I watched for a bit, and discovered the problem seemed to be one of the Gouramis was picking on them, nipping and chasing. Figured the fish were really stressed out and maybe a little beat up.

I pulled the two stressed ones out and put them in my 20 long. One didn't make it, and the second is barely holding on. I watched the big tank a bit more, and the Gourami was chasing the last 4 Serpaes to one corner of the tank. I've pulled the last of them and they are all in the 20 gallon now.

My real question is what should I look at adding to the 75 that wont get bullied? The Red Eyes don't seem to be bothered at all (at least not yet), but are back in the corners now that Serpaes are out...just like when I first got them. I want another schooling fish that would help bring out the Red Eyes into the tank, but something that wont get bullied. I plan on a few Plecos, and was thinking Khulis (not 100%), but that's for the bottom of the tank, need more middle fish.

I'd say get rid of the problem fish, and then build your school numbers back up. The bully fish will still be a bully fish, unless you add a fish to bully it, and then you'll have even more problems. I'd trade it to the LFS for some smaller schooling fish to restore your schools :)

The moment I read Gourami I thought to my self I bet that is the bully. I find gourami's don't like there own kind or even fish with similiar shape like the serpae tetra. Remove the male and you should be fine.

Funny thing is that the bully is one of the supposed females. I am debating trying to exchange them but I didn't buy them at my LFS, I got them at one an hour away. The other reason I'm debating is because they don't bully the Red Eyes, so I was thinking maybe there's another fish that might work.

Ya i have some seprea tetras, tho pretty and hardy, they are one of my least favorite tetras. They are too territorial and skittish, they freak out with just a PWC and will attack any other fish i put in their tank.
Id say cut their numbers to 4 and focus on other kinds of tetras, do some google searches to find out which ones are compatible.
Black skirts, neons, there are plenty of smaller, more peaceful tetras than the sepreas.
Ill Never get them again

I found the Serpaes to be very active and social. They actually got my skiddish Red Eyes to come out more. I never saw them being territorial, although they chased among themselves. I only saw the Gouramis picking on the Serpaes.

Anyways, I called the LFS and they said come in tomorrow when the owner or manger was going to be there and talk to him about swapping the Gouramis out.

Took them to my LFS and picked up 6 Boesemani Rainbows instead. Only 1 Serpae survived so he's just gonna have to hang by himself. I think I'll end up adding 6 Irian Rainbows or maybe threadfin or praecox. Red eye tetras don't seem to mind the rainbows so far.

To each his own, but Rainbows got on my nerves after a few months. They're so greedy at feeding time that they bully everyone out of the way, eating all the food they can cram into their mouths, and they are VERY hard to catch, if you ever need to. Like greased lightning. Lost all but two to fish TB. A Boesemani and an Australian. I won't be replacing them. Be careful, because grown Rainbows WILL kill each other, especially the males. I found them a real PITA, plus they aren't personable like many other fish. You may like them though. Like I said, to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom