Bump on cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennamckay

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 3 cory cats (yes I know they should be in groups of at least 6) and when I first got them about a month ago they all had these bumps on their undersides but they just kind if went away. Now it looks like they have them again. My albino has the most prominent one. They are swimming and eating fine and are acting normal. Does anyone know what this is? Is it dangerous? Bloat? The picture makes it look a little worse than it is. Also my peppered cory cat does not have this bump. Just my bronze and albino
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400701301.291393.jpg

Also noticed there is a small black line down the bump. I heard this could mean they are holding eggs? But I thought these two were males

I am going to go out on a limb here, first the eggs are not near the chest cavity from the photo it looks to be near the chest.

It actually does look like a growth.

I had a green spotted Puffer that developed a growth on its head, then after a week another growth formed on its body. He only lasted a few weeks before he died. I know boney fish can get cancer. I assumed the Puffer had cancer. It is only a guess mind you.

But do growths just come and go? They had them for a few days about a month ago, they completely went away, and now they have them again.

Mind you, I am only talking from experience, not actual knowledge.

What was strange about my Puffer, when the growth first appeared, it went away. Then another appeared at a different part of his body, and went away. However, when he died he had a lot of growths and quit eating. I assumed after his death, the growths had not really gone away, but were noticeable due to swelling which made the appearance of going away.

And why I posted here, is your cory's growth looked the way my Puffer did, but on second thought, it could be any thing...it could be some internal parasite causing swelling, especially if all 3 have growths.

I looked up a lot of pictures of cories and it seems like many have this bump and many pictures of cories holding eggs look just like them. Only 2 out of the 3 have this bump

Just looks well fed to me. The bump is food that hasn't been processed through the gut yet. Seen it a lot with corys, especially when they gorge on bloodworm!

Can't quite see as the pic is slightly blurred, but looks like a male to me. Most corys can be sexed by the pelvic fins - males are generally slightly pointed, females more rounded (for carrying eggs)... not a lot of people know that (imagine the Michael Caine impersonation, if you will) :)

Back
Top Bottom