Buying My First Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has just about cycled through. Currently I have 6 Damsels, but once the tank is cycled I am going to get rid of them and get some nicer fish. I am considering getting a Lion Fish and I was just Wondering if someone could give me some advice. Should I get one? What fish would get along well with it? Do I have to worry about other fish being stung and killed? I have a 55 gallon tank. No live Rock. Thanks!

Well first of all, welcome and enjoy all the great advice.

Ok, so you have a 55gal tank, whats else? skimmer, pw, filtration, lights. Give us an idea. Also a sw tank without live rock will be pretty hard to maintain. How do you know you are done with the cycle, have you been testing to make sure you really are done?

About the Lion Fish, check this site out http://www.liveaquaria.com/default.cfm pretty helpful site

Leo

By wanting a Lion, i am assuming you dont want a reef tank right? Also, post the setup of your tank.

WELCOME TO AA!!!!

I would definitely get som LR. The LR will host the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrAtes, very important stuff especially if you want a messy eater like a lionfish. A loinfish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. As for stinging other fish, the lionfish's spines are used as a defense mechanisim, to keep other fish from swallowing him.

Back
Top Bottom