Buying new lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I am looking at ordering a new 48" light fixture for my 90 gallon standard glass aquarium. I plan on keeping soft corals and maybe some hard stuff. Debating on halides vs a t5 setup. Would love some opinions due to it being a 24" tall aquarium

Between the two, I would go the T5 route. They don't produce as much heat as MH and are cheaper to run. As for which fixture? It depends on your budget. I would go for a 6 or 8 bulb. If you are handy at DIY, you could wire up your own fixture for cheap with the same results.

running an average haleum type lamp 12 hrs a day will cost about £400 a year to run, LED setups running 24/7 will only cost £7 a year by comparison!! although the initial setup cost is more!

just something to consider!!

running an average haleum type lamp 12 hrs a day will cost about £400 a year to run, LED setups running 24/7 will only cost £7 a year by comparison!! although the initial setup cost is more!

just something to consider!!

I agree about the LED's but I did not mention them since he only asked about MH vs T5.

I'm waiting for the LED market to lower the pricing before I even think about going that route.

Would definately go with an 8 bulb t5. And I agree with led comment but the initial cost is way to much for my bank account

I would go with a tek light fixture 48 inch 6 bulb and add a 48 inch reef brite led fixture.

that is what i am running on my 120 gallon right now and the corals are LOVING it.

T5 HO is the way to go with LED or without. For now a 6 bulb 48 inch tek fixture will me fine!!!

Back
Top Bottom