C02 system How to start????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok i gat the lights gat an xp3 filter running ordered 90 punds of eco complete now how do i start this C02 stuff have no clue how to wrk with these things please helpp guyss

good question im not sure witch one would be better for a 55 gallon i think mabey pressurized u tell me

I only have a 29G and a 10G tank, and have DIY on both.

For a 55G I would say get pressurized. But I may be wrong.

i was thinkin pressuized for the most part do u kno how to get this thing started?

I do know you need:

a CO2 tank (not sure what size im a DIY guy lol)
a Regulator
a Bubble counter
a Needle Valve
and a CO2 reactor

I'm not sure if you figured this out yet, but pressurized has a up front price tag of around.. 200$, so it might be a bit much. It took me a couple years to finally go for it, so yeah..

There are kits that come with everything, so you might want go that route.

I'm not sure if you figured this out yet, but pressurized has a up front price tag of around.. 200$, so it might be a bit much. It took me a couple years to finally go for it, so yeah..

There are kits that come with everything, so you might want go that route.

That's why I DIY :D

You can use DIY on a 55, there are many that have done it successfully. Pressurized would be much easier however. I recommend the Milwaukee MA957 Regulator. A lot of people on here use it (I do too) and it is a reasonably priced setup that comes with what you need to get started, except for the CO2 tank (you can buy a 5lb tank online or at a local wine or beverage store for around $60 if I remember right).

eseasongear on ebay sell the system relatively cheap. IT comes with a regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter, and they throw in some co2 tubing as well:
Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Solenoid, Bubble Counter - eBay (item 370179621501 end time Apr-25-09 16:59:28 PDT)

If you want to go with even more control/precision, you can get a bundled deal thru them that comes with an SMS122 pH controller. You hook this to your solenoid, and it automatically turns the co2 off/on at a certain pH, given you an almost completely constant CO2 level (I use this as well). It is not required however... you can just hook the solenoid to a timer and with some adjustment get close to levels you are looking for. Here is the bundled deal:
Milwaukee SMS122+MA957 / pH Controller + CO2 Regulator - eBay (item 280161981087 end time Apr-02-09 20:12:56 PDT)

You will also need to consider how you want to diffuse the co2 into the water. There are a lot of methods. Since you have a canister filter, one of the most popular ways is to put a CO2 reactor inline with the filter. This keeps more stuff from going in your tank, and is a very effective way to diffuse co2. You can buy these reactors online for varying prices, or if you are handy at all, you can build a DIY reactor for ~$10-20.

it's why I DYI'd too. If you hooked up three bottles you would probably get a decent enough CO2 output in a 55g. (I think).

something like this is ideal for DIY Co2. The only thing I did different was use a glass diffuser instead of the power reactor.

bigdiyco.jpg

Total cost:

2 Check valves and 2 bubble counters $25.00
Bottles $1.20 each
Yeast $4.00
Raw sugar $2.50 2kg bag
Diffuser $25 off eBay
suction cups $7.00 - they go inside the lids of the bottles to create an airtight seal
Silicone tubing $15.00 for 5 meters
t-connector & corner connectors $2.00 for both.

That's why I DIY :D

And believe it or not, in 2 years of running DIY, you'll buy enough sugar and yeast to pay for the entry cost into pressurized. That just on one 55g tank.

Start running multiple tanks and it is not a long time period at all.... simply because you can manifold (fancy name for a splitter) and put a needle valve at multiple tanks off of one regulator/CO2 tank setup.

Start using champagne yeast... again, time is shorter as your yeast is now more expensive.

If you count your own time as money, as I do when looking at these things, it is much, much shorter a period. I set up my 180g a year ago - that 20lb canister is still going. I've touched the setup, umm, maybe for 60 seconds every month or two to verify bubble counts. How much time and energy is in changing out that nasty smelling yeast solution every 10-14 days again? ;)

co2-canisters.com has aggressive pricing on empty, new, aluminum tanks, and regulators. I'd hit ebay for a diffusor.

DIY is a great transition tool, meaning to find out if you want to run co2-injected tanks. It is frankly a lousy long term solution, both in cost and performance standpoints.

5 pound can is fine on a 55g - but I'd advise get the largest one that fits under your stand (usually a 10 lb). It just means that many less times you fill it, and it is usually only a couple of extra dollars to fill 10lb vs. 5 lb. They are like $15 for 5, $20 for ten around me.

Back
Top Bottom