Calcium shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpshow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may seem a stupid question but I am a newbie. I have a red cherry shrimp tank. I bought 11 and since then 2 have died and I think it was just after moulting. How do I know if my water has enough calcium? Is it to do with the water hardness? I've heard cuttlefish is good but don't want to add it and make things worse.

Keep Calm and breed shrimp!

If you're using tap water and changing it regularly, you have enough calcium.

What are the parameters?
How long have you bad the shrimp?

Hi. My tap is <1 Gh, very soft. My shrimp fatalities dropped when I increased it to 6Gh. I know Gh is not all calcium but I assumed that an almost zero Gh indicated an almost zero calcium. I use Seachem equilibrium, 2.5 ml per 10 litres of tap water. Not a cheap product but I have fish and plants and the combination of minerals seems to suit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi sorry for taking gases to get back I've been overseas. I've lost another shrimp since I first posted...:( My water parameters are as follows:

Nitrate 15
Nitrite. 0
Gh 14
Kh 6
Ph 7
Ammonia 0
Temp 74

I do weekly water changes.

I had a slight shock yesterday. I used 2 cherry barbs to cycle the tank. Once it was cycled I put the 2 cherry barbs into my bigger tank. I noticed in my shrimp tank yesterday that I had 3 baby cherry barb fry!

Ive had enough of red cherry shrimp! Another one has now died! They seem to die as soon as they molt! I started with 11 and now down to 4! I was hoping to start a colony. I've done everything I can now and they have put me through stress! As soon as those 4 go I'm turning there tank into a betta one!

Back
Top Bottom