Calgary Aquarium Society Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What were you keeping some of your Cory's with Menagerie? It was really hard to judge all of them. The biggest reason yours lost points was they were showing some fin nippage/damage.

Great presentation though! Covered some similar thoughts I had when we moved from our condo to house, but we didnt have to go into as much thought as the fish went into buckets for the 20 minute drive.

I would love to, but unfortunately the last few meetings I've had to go to work right after the meeting, with no time to go home and redeposit fish into their tanks.

Hopefully, I'll manage with the next meeting, unless the schedule changes. I've got some nice pieces of aquatic plants attached to driftwood that might do well.

Yeah great presentation!

I picked up 2 rocks and a house plant hehe...

And Toirtis almost talked me into bidding on a Brichardi.. I would have but I have a happy couple breeding like mad and didn't want to mix them up with a new male at this time.. I am pretty sure they would have just ripped the new guy up.

And I reconized KaiserFish (he looks kinda like his avitar)

Moooose

The biggest reason yours lost points was they were showing some fin nippage/damage.
I knew that would happen, but since we sold our extra tanks, there was no where to put some juvie zebras and brichardi. Today I pulled them out and put them where they belong and made sure to disrupt territories in the 80 gal. BTW~good judging last night. You and Wlad were very thorough. Honestly, I bring fish because I like showing them off and no one else does. If I were to actually win, I might faint!

And I reconized KaiserFish (he looks kinda like his avitar)
:biglol:

Hey, Menagerie....get anything at the meeting?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Meghan ... unfortunately i can't help on the weekend.... i work from either 8-4 or 4-midnight. More then likely it will be 8-4. Let me know if you will be still around by those times or if you will be almost done by that time.

Toirtis said:
webmoose said:
OK so killifish are on the jar show list. I know that sometimes Toirtis brings in fish to match the fish he brings in for the jar show. SO you doing that this time ;)

Nope, just got a bunch of catfish to show....my killies are all still eggs right now.

Hey Toirtis,

Can you share what eggs you are currently hatching? Tips? Tricks? All of them spoken for? Where did you get them? Pics of the adults?

Moooooose

Thanks for the prompt reply!!!

how can you decide when to hatch them? temperature? How are you preventing fungus in your little jars?

I am bidding on some 30 egg lots from the links you sent on the CAS email list / Some guy in Surrey BC.. Any idea on hatch success how many fish I might get from 30 eggs?

best of luck with your hatch.

Well... remember how Meghan said it was VERY IMPORTANT in her presentation to be prepared when moving?

The truck they had was... a little small. But we made alot fit... just took a hammer here and there to some boxes to compact them.

Hope they didn't have any problems at the border... or cats flying through the front windshield!

On a different note, when I got home after Toirtis dropped me off, my large female Ameca had popped 20 babies out of her. Time to start selling these things off on a regular basis, now that they're breeding in more prodigous numbers as there are two other females close to popping as well.

webmoose said:
Thanks for the prompt reply!!!

how can you decide when to hatch them?

Just decide whenever I am ready and feel like it.

temperature?

The eggs are currently hanging out at a 'wamr room temp'...probably about 20ºC.

How are you preventing fungus in your little jars?

Quite easily....the peat that they are in is basically dry....some humidity is OK, but you don't want too much, or you affect the eggs.

I am bidding on some 30 egg lots from the links you sent on the CAS email list / Some guy in Surrey BC.. Any idea on hatch success how many fish I might get from 30 eggs?

Depends on how he selects his eggs...he is likely hand-picking, and one assumes he is choosing apparently fertile eggs, so 50%-90% is not an unreasonable expectation....so 15-25 fry, I am sure.

best of luck with your hatch.

Thanks...and to you with yours. I am excited to see a new group of killie enthusiasts appearing within the ranks of the CAS. Hopefully I will be able to pick up a few mature fish when I visit the ACE auction in 10 days time.

Well looks like I've double booked myself so i will be missing this months meeting. just wanted to let you guys know.

Moose

Oh yeah....

Meeting tomorrow evening, usual place and time.

Jar show categories are: Pairs of Egglayers or Pair of Live Bearers - Aquatic Plants - Discus

As usual, mini-auction, raffle, and presentation.

This is our second-last meeting before fall.

Well, i crashed on the presentation. Left all my material home. It really sucked. Felt like a fool afterwards

Other then that it was ok ... the prices for some of the mini auction stuff was just insane. (cheap insane)

What was your presentation on?

Guess one of us better bring a roll of loonies to the next meeting so we can give Len a run for his money... That is 3 meetings in a row with low bidding eh?

Moooose

webmoose said:
That is 3 meetings in a row with low bidding eh?

Moooose

Two, but this one was particularly disappointing...thanks to it being on the end of a long weekend (first nice one of spring), plus the Queen's visit, plus that May/June meetings are always sparsely attended...everything went at crazy low prices.

Back
Top Bottom